File Services - Student UiT
As a student at UiT, you have been assigned a user account that amongst other things provides access to a network drive on the UiT file server.
When you are logged on to one of the student computers on the UiT campus and enter "My Computer", you will find network drive H:. This is your "home directory" where you can store all your personal files and documents.
Why should I save my files/data on H: (home directory)?
The main reason is for file security. UiT takes nightly backups of files/data on the UiT network drive H: (home directory) but does not takes backups of files/data stored on the local disk C:, computer desktop or external media (i.e. USB memory sticks). If something occurs that leads to you losing your files, there is a greater chance that we can recover them if they have been stored in the drive H:.
You may save up to 500 MB on this disk. Please be aware that this space is shared with your e-mail account, so the more space you use for large attachments in your e-mail account, the less space you have available on the home directory H:. Check your disk usage in the User manager
Non study related files/data (music, films, pictures etc.)
Music, movies and photos use a lot of disk space. If you need more space on your home directory (H:), you must first of ensure that non study related files/data are removed from your home directory.
Can I get more disk space?
Send request for extended disk space to email@example.com stating the following information:
- Your name
- Phone number
- Your user name at UiT (e.g. abc123)
- Did you remove any personal files/data on your UiT network disk?
- Why do you need extended disk space?
Can I access the UiT network disk from my home computer?
Yes, there are several ways of doing this:
VPN portal UiT
- Open your web browser and enter http://vpn.uit.no/
- Enter your UiT username and password
- Select Domain Students/Guests -> Log in
- Select "File Access" in the left margin
- You now have access to your files/data saved on your "home directory" at UiT
Connect to the UiT file server using a FTP client
- Server name: ftp://ftp.student.uit.no/
- Username: (your UiT username)
- Password: (your UiT password)
Map Network Drive (UiT) to your personal computer
You need to run the AnyConnect VPN client in order to do this. Read more about downloading and installing the AnyConnect, VPN client
- Log in to AnyConnect from your computer.
- Right click "My Computer" -> choose "Map Network Drive..."
- Choose a vacant drive letter and connect to the folder \\cosmo2.omni.uit.no\username\ (replace "username" with your UiT username, e.g. abc123)
- Enter your UiT username/password
Read more about this on the webpage Remote desktop - Student UiT
Click for bigger picture
Phone: (+47) 776 44544
Universitetet i Tromsø
08:00 (*09:00) - 18:00
08:00 (09:00) - (*15:00) 15:45
The desk opens 09:00 every day
*The service desk opens at 09:00 every weekday and closes at 15:00 on Fridays