Mathematics - master
|Qualification:||Master's of Science in Mathematics|
|Admission requirements:||Bachelor's degree in Mathematics or or related subject area|
|Application deadline:||1 December|
The following diciplines are offered:
For each programme at the University of Tromsø there are set targets for knowledge, skills and competences that a student should have reached by the end of studies.
On completion of the program, graduates will have the following attributes:
- have advanced knowledge within one of the mathematical areas algebra, analysis/differential geometry or applied mathematics.
- have a solid knowledge about fields close to the chosen main area.
- have sufficient knowledge of mathematics to teach in senior high school.
- can enter complicated problem issues, uncover structures and formulate precise problems, find suitable analytical and/or numerical solution methods, and interpret the solutions.
- have good practical skills in using relevant programming tools.
- can cooperate, if necessary in a interdisciplinary way, with other specialists.
- can find precise and scientific formulations, in oral and written language, in Norwegian as well as in English.
- can use existing literature in an active way to understand the work of other scientists, and as support to solve own mathematical problems.
- have a solid knowledge of a broad variety of methods and techniques for analysis and problem solving within the chosen area of specialization.
- have acquired good theoretical insight and ability to apply the theory for development of methods and techniques to solve problems.
- possesses the necessary qualifications for work within industry, technology, science, information technology, and schools.
- can apply knowledge within mathematics and statistics on problem issues within social and natural sciences.
- can do independent scientific work and formulate the contents of the work within the framework of the terminology of the field.
- can make knowledge based judgments on general scientific issues and communicate these in public.
Admission to the Master`s programme in Mathematics requires a Bachelor`s degree (180 ECTS) in Mathematics or equivalent qualification in mathematics. More information on admission requirements:
Applicants from Norway or Nordic countries:
- The application deadline for Norwegian and other Nordic applicants is April 15th for admission to the autumn semester.
Applicants from outside the Nordic countries:
- The application deadline for self-financing and quota scheme applicants is December 1st for admission to the autumn semester.
- Online application, study code 2003.
Teaching and assessment
Language of instruction
The Master's Thesis may also be written either in English or a Scandinavian language.