I am a polar marine ecologist specializing in eukaryotic microbial taxonomy and plant-microbe interactions. I am interested in documenting biodiversity and understanding the relevance of microbes to greater ecosystem processes. My research currently focuses on characterizing the consumers (heterotrophs) in these ecosystems by applying an array of molecular methods, while embracing more traditional approaches to microbiology, such as culturing and microscopy. For the past several years, my research has explored the ecological roles of the marine fungi.
12) Hassett BT*, Vonnahme TR, Peng XF, Jones EBG, Heuze C (2019). Global diversity and geography of planktonic marine fungi. Botanica Marina. Published ahead of print.
11) Hassett BT*, Buaya A, Ploch S, Thines M, Gradinger R (2019). A glimpse into the biogeography, seasonality, and ecological functions of Arctic marine Oomycota. IMA Fungus, 1:6.
10) Hassett BT*, Borrego EJ, Kolomiets M, Rämä T, Gradinger R (2019). Arctic marine fungi: biomass, functional genes, and putative ecological roles. The ISME J. 13: 1484-1496.
9) Ducluzeau AL, Tyson JR, Collins RE, Hassett BT* (2018). Genome sequencing of the Subarctic mesomycetozoean Sphaeroforma sirkka B5 with Oxford Nanopore minION and Illumina HiSeq. Microbiology Resource Announcements, DOI: 10.1128/MRA.00848-18.
8) Hassett BT*, Gradinger R (2018). New species of saprobic Labyrinthulea (=Labyrinthulomycota) and the erection of a gen. nov. to resolve molecular polyphyly within the Aplanochytrids. Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology, 65: 475-483.
7) Hassett BT*, Gradinger R (2017). Eukaryotic microbial richness increases with latitude and decreasing temperature in the Pacific Arctic Domain. Polar Biology, 40: 2161-2169.
6) Rämä T*, Hassett BT, Bubnova E (2017). Arctic marine Fungi: From filaments and flagella to OTUs and beyond. Botanica Marina, 60: 433-452.
5) Hassett BT*, Ducluzeau AL, Collins RE, Gradinger R (2017). Spatial distribution of aquatic marine fungi across the western Arctic and sub-Arctic. Environmental Microbiology, 19: 475-484.
4) Hassett BT*, Gradinger R (2016). Chytrids dominate arctic marine fungal communities. Environmental Microbiology, 18: 2001-2009.
3) Hassett BT*, Lopez AJ, Gradinger R (2015). Two new species of marine saprotrophic sphaeroformids in the Mesomycetozoea isolated from the sub-arctic Bering Sea. Protist, 166: 310-322.
2) Isakeit T*, Hassett BT, Ong K (2012). First report of leaf spot of sesame caused by Xanthomonas sp. in the United States. Plant Disease, 96: 1222-1222.
1) Hassett BT, Isakeit T* (2012). Sporulation and field movement of atoxigenic strains of Aspergillus flavus used for the management of aflatoxin in corn and cotton. Phytopathology, 102: S6.
I previously worked as an adjunct professor at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, where I taught Beginnings in Microbiology for pre-nursing majors. I now guest lecture in Arctic marine ecosystem courses on the ecological role of microbes in the Arctic Ocean.