Outgoing exchange opportunities at UiT

International Mobility UiT



UiT The Arctic University of Norway gives you many opportunities to take parts of your study as an exchange student at a higher education institution abroad. Find out how you can apply for an exchange and where you can go.

All degree students should have the chance to take part of their studies abroad. A team of international exchange advisers will help you to find your way to an international partner university that suits you and your studies.


International Mobility UiT

You will get to know a new country and gain an insight into the language and culture of this country. You will gain new perspectives of your subject and can study courses or specialize in areas where other universities have different expertise. You will also demonstrate that you are independent, take initiative and are open to new impulses, which will look good on your CV.

In a world that is becoming increasingly globalized, international experiences are worth their weight in gold. An international exchange will expand your personal and professional horizons.

Who can travel?

Providing you have taken at least 60 credits and are registered on a programme of study at UiT The Arctic University of Norway, you are entitled to go on an exchange. In practice, this means that the university will offer you a student exchange at an institution abroad with which UiT has an exchange agreement.

However, if you are a course student, have completed your studies at UiT or have not made normal progress, you are not entitled to take advantage of the university’s agreements.

How long?

A student exchange normally lasts 3 – 12 months. Students at Bachelor, Master and PhD level can all travel on a student exchange.

What can you study?

The exchange studies will form part of the degree you take at UiT. The studies will be approved by the Programme Board for your programme of study. The usual procedure is for students to choose courses and examinations during their student exchange that replace the courses they would otherwise have taken at UiT. In some subjects, it is also possible to travel abroad to work on a major assignment or project for which the examination will be taken at UiT.

To ensure you gain specific recognition for your exchange studies, apply for prior recognition of courses you plan to take at the same time as you apply to your faculty for the exchange.

Which country & higher education institution?

There are many options. UiT has more than 250 exchange agreements with higher education institutions abroad. The Exchange Coordinator at your faculty is your first stop towards finding out where you can go.

Check under “Advice at your faculty for more information.

International Mobility UiT

The Exchange Coordinators at UiT:

  • help with inquiries concerning English-taught courses at UiT (Incoming exchange students)
  • inform students about exchange opportunities (Outgoing exchange students)

  • assist during the application process and receive applications of nomination for exchange (incoming exchange students

  • help with prior recognition of courses (Outgoing exchange students)

  • registers approved exchange applications

  • nominates UiT student to the partner institution (applies to Erasmus, Nordplus and other specialist agreements)

Application forms

Erasmus+ Learning Agreement

All other exchange agreements

All exchange programmes

Online Application
International Mobility UiT

International Mobility UiT

While most exchange agreements are in other Nordic or European countries, Canada, USA and Australia are also attractive study destinations for UiT students. The university’s High North Strategy is clearly reflected in the agreement portfolio. A long-term partnership connects UiT with northern Russia, especially Arkhangelsk.

However, many agreements are not affiliated with an exchange programme. These are called bilateral agreements. Some of these relate to specific subjects or faculties, while others apply to all disciplines. Ask the Exchange Coordinator at your facility about the exchange opportunities for your subject area.

International Mobility UiT

Each faculty has an International Coordinator who can advise you about timing, higher education institutions abroad and courses, as well as specific recognition of the exchange studies in your degree.

  • 1- Higher education institutions abroad that have cooperation agreements with UiT

    Contact the exchange adviser at your faculty.



  • 2- Contact your exchange adviser at your faculty.

    Application for exchange (online)

    Fill out UiT’s Exchange Student Application Form (look under “Advice and application forms”), choose your course(s) overseas, fill out the ECTS Learning Agreement and apply to your faculty for prior recognition of your exchange studies.

    Submit the following forms to the exchange adviser within the application deadline:

    • UiT Exchange Student Application Form

    • ECTS Learning Agreement

  • 3- Apply for nomination for an exchange and prior recognition of your course

    The Exchange adviser at your faculty can help you to find one or more courses overseas that can be recognised in your degree. He/she will also advise you about prior recognition of the course(s) you will take overseas. Each faculty has specific routines for prior recognition of exchange studies. Ask your Exchange adviser about what you need to do and who you need to contact.

    You must be nominated for an exchange. The Exchange coordinator will contact the relevant higher education institution and register you as an exchange student. When that has been done, you can apply for admission.

  • 4- Apply for admission to the partner university.

    You can find an overview of all partner universities at “Find places to study abroad”. Each university has its own routines and procedures concerning international applicants. It is your responsibility to send your application to the overseas university on time. As you are an applicant nominated by UIT, it is relatively easy to apply for admission to the partner university. You usually only need to fill out a simple application form (often online), list your selected course and attach your Transcript of Records, which is an overview in English of the studies you have completed at UiT.

    You can get your Transcript of Records from the Student Information Desk. When your application has been accepted, you will receive a “Letter of Admission” and an info pack from the partner university. Once you have received these, you can start to apply for housing, apply for a loan and grant from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund and plan your trip.

  • 5- Apply for a loan from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.

    When your nomination and Learning Agreement have been approved, you can apply for a loan for your exchange from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.

    You will find more information about grants under “Funding”.

  • 6- Find a language course and apply for a language grant.

    The Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund awards a language grant of up to NOK 20,516 so exchange students can attend a preparatory language course abroad. This is conditional on the instruction being given in the foreign language. Moreover, the language course must have a minimum duration of four weeks and contain a minimum of 15 hours of instruction per week. Language grants are not given for courses in English.

  • 7- Sign a student contract.

    Prior to departure, you must sign a contract with UiT that clarifies your rights and obligations as an exchange student. You will receive this contract from The International Office and you submit it once you have received your Letter of Admission from the partner institution.

  • 8- Pay the semester fee at UiT.

    As a UiT exchange student, you pay the semester fee to UiT and are thus exempt from paying the semester fee at the institution abroad. The Exchange adviser at your faculty will register you as an exchange student in UiT’s data system, so that your student exchange may be registered in your study plan in Studentweb.

  • 9- Travel and experience the world!

International Mobility UiT

As an exchange student, you have several options to apply for extra financial support and grants.

Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen)

To qualify for support from Lånekassen (in Norwegian) you must usually be a Norwegian citizen. Foreign citizens can receive support for education in Norway when certain conditions are fulfilled.

The Loan Fund is for most local students in Norway, the main funding source for their studies, also while on exchange. The fund provides loans to cover some expenses while studying abroad, such as travel and accommodation, as well as support for tuition fee is this is applicable.


Travel support

The Loan Fund (Lånekassen) also offers travel support for students on exchange. You can apply for an amount that supports two return trips per year (70% grant and 30% loan). The amount depends on which country you are going to study in.

More information can be found on the main website of Lånekassen.


Language scholarships

If you have been admitted to studies abroad that entitle you to financial support and the language of instruction is not English, you can receive a grant of NOK 20,516 for a preparatory language course.

Please note the following points:

  • The language course must have a minimum duration of four weeks with a minimum of 15 hours of instruction spread over at least three days per week.
  • You will normally be required to take the course in the country in which you will study, which must be a non-English speaking country outside the Nordic region.
International Mobility UiT

You should start the planning of your student exchange as early as possible, preferably one year before you wish to depart. You should have completed at least 60 credits, and the subjects you plan to take abroad must fit into your programme description.

Before departure (but after you have applied)
  • Exchange contract

    Prior to departure, you must sign a standard contract with UiT via your faculty. Contact the Exchange adviser at your faculty.

    NB! Please note that you cannot apply for a visa until you have received your Letter of Admission from the institution abroad.

    This contract clarifies the rights and obligations of the parties, including the distribution of responsibility between the university and the student, in the event of unforeseen circumstances occurring during the student exchange. The contract specifies conditions and obligations.

  • Apply for a visa well in advance

    You will require a student visa to study in many countries outside Europe. Check the relevant visa rules as early as possible since the process time can take several months in some countries.

    NB! Please note that you cannot apply for a visa until you have received your Letter of Admission from the institution abroad.

  • Plan your insurance

    You retain your membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme if you will study abroad for less than 12 months or if you have received financial support for your studies abroad from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.

    You should familiarise yourself on your rights as a student abroad (nav.no).

    If you are going on an exchange to USA, it is possible that the American higher education institution will request a more detailed description of your rights to coverage of health services. You can contact Equian to arrange the documentation the American higher education institution requires. Equian can also send you a card to use when receiving medical treatment in USA. Click here for further information.

  • Supplementary liability insurance

    You need supplementary liability insurance (health insurance and travel insurance). The Norwegian National Insurance Scheme entitles you to coverage of certain health services, but does not cover, for instance, transportation to your home country in the event of illness. Familiarise yourself with different insurance solutions by contacting various companies or your bank.

    ANSA (Association of Norwegian Students Abroad) has special insurance policies for students studying abroad.

  • vaccines

    Remember to take any necessary vaccines prior to departure. Some countries and institutions require proof that you have taken specific vaccines.

    Check the vaccines required for various countries on the vaccine map.

  • Housing

    Remember to arrange a place to live prior to departure.

While you are on exchange
  • Register your new semester address in Studentweb

    You must update details of your new address abroad in Studentweb as soon as you arrive at the higher education institution abroad.

  • Remember Confirmation of Exchange

    You must send your Confirmation of Exchange while you are on your exchange to international@uit.no. This confirmation must be received within two weeks of your arrival at the higher education institution abroad. You will find the “Confirmation of Exchange” form under “Advice and application”.

  • Change of course

    If you must change your course, please contact your Exchange adviser at the faculty.

  • Extension of student exchange

    If you wish to extend or reduce the length of your student exchange, please contact your Exchange adviser as soon as possible. To gain an extension, you need to be nominated again by the host university’s application deadline.

  • Interruption of student exchange

    You must inform UiT immediately of all changes to the planned student exchange, including interruption of your student exchange, the duration of the student exchange, changes of courses for which you have received prior recognition and extended absence from the higher education institution.


After the student exchange
  • Final approval of courses

    Send your application to the Exchange adviser at your faculty.

    This is a compulsory requirement to receive the rest of your grant.

  • Attend Debut WEEK International

    In this way, you can help an international student to get to know Norway and become integrated at UiT.

    You will get to know many people from different cultures and get that great feeling that only a proud host can have.

Please, contact your student adviser if you do not find your own study programme in the list

Page administrator: Moustapha Babikir
Last changed: 16.01.2019 09.51
Få utskriftsvennlig versjon ved å trykke på denne
Application deadlines
  • 15 February
  • 15 September