BIO-8018 Environmental Molecular Genetics - 20 ECTS
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:
The number of participants is limited to 10. If more than 10 applicants, priority will be given as follows:
- Participants admitted to the PhD programme at UiT
- Participants in the Associate Professor programme (Førstelektorprogrammet)
- PhD candidates from other universities
- People with a minimum of a Masters degree (or equivalent), who have not been admitted to a PhD programme
The course will be cancelled if less than four participants.
PhD students at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb. The registration for autumn semester starts in the middle of June.
Other applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb. Application code 9303.
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen at the BFE-faculty if you have troubles or questions regarding registration to the course.
- Theory of microbial ecology and epigenetics
- Theory of gene and gene expression analyses
- Critical consideration of scientific literature within the topics for the course
- How to write a laboratory report
- Critical assessment of own results
- Isolation of DNA and RNA from environmental samples
- Preparation of samples for sequencing
- Bioinformatics - analysis of sequencing results, sequence assemblies
- Gene expression (qPCR), methylation status analysis
- Present objectives, methods and results.
- Oral and written discussion of results
- Theory of environmental genetics
- Experimental design
- Molecular laboratory work
- Evaluation of methods
- Discussion of results
- Presentation of results
One report and an oral exam. The final grade for the course is based upon a complete evaluation of the report and the oral exam. The exam will be assessed with a graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail. Students require to attain a pass grade (A to E) in the laboratory report in order to be able to take the oral examination. There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.
Coursework requirements: an theoretical essay within the topics of the course must be approved in order to be able to take the exam.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 20
- Course code: BIO-8018
- Responsible unit
- Department of Arctic and Marine Biology