BIO-8016 Northern food web ecology - 10 stp
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:
PhD students at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb. The registration for autumn semester starts in the middle of June.
Other applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb. Application code 9303.
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen at the BFE-faculty if you have troubles or questions regarding registration to the course.
- To demonstrate how a food web perspective is useful for describing and analyzing ecological dynamics emerging from the trophic interaction in ecosystems.
- To give the students a basic understanding of how basic mechanism in populations and communities leads to ecological dynamics through training in the use of simple models to understand such dynamics.
- To provide an overview of the structural characteristics of terrestrial food webs and how these vary in time and space in boreal and arctic biomes.
- To give an introduction to some modern empirical methods of studying trophic interactions.
- To learn what are the key processes and functions in northern terrestrial food webs by means of illustrious case studies.
- To train students in reading, presenting and discussing scientific research papers efficiently and critically: student seminars.
There is a compulsory project work connected to the model laboratory part of the course that needs to be completed before the exam, the PhD students will have a more advanced compulsory project work. Each student is also required to lead a seminar during the seminar parts of the courses. The project work needs to be approved in order to do the exam.
Oral exam. A graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail.
There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.
Lectures Autumn 2018
Schedule: Same schedule as BIO-3013.
HOW TO APPLY
PhD students enrolled at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb.
Remember to upload documentation of your education or documentation of your status as a PhD student. Applicants who can document their status as a PhD student are exempt to pay the semester fee.