BIO-2508 Aquaculture I - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Admission requirements are generell studiekompetanse + REALFA.
Application code: 9336
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
All applicants: The course requires basic knowledge in biology and ecology at university level. Basic knowledge in chemistry and mathematics is an advantage.
On completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Have a broad knowledge of aquaculture production in the world, from algae to fish.
- Describe farming techniques for species that are common to the Norwegian aquaculture industry.
- Have an understanding of how fish hatcheries are built-up, based on the biological and technological prerequisites of each species.
- Have knowledge of basic principles of fish breeding / genetics as well as nutrition and health.
- Have basic knowledge of the ecological effects of aquaculture, focusing on marine cage culture and environmentally sustainable production.
- Be able to understand the general theory, methods and techniques used for the cultivation of aquatic organisms.
- Knowing the principles of nutrition, feed composition and growth in fish.
- Describe the most common fish diseases and parasites and know how to deal with these.
- Have an understanding of the growing aquaculture industry, and see the need and the challenges of cultivating a range of aquatic species in an environmental sustainable manner.
- Be able to acquire relevant information, exploit, and benefit from research-based knowledge in aquaculture.
- Communicate and exchange views on the most central questions, challenges and different solutions in aquaculture.
- Understand the role and impact that the aquaculture industry has within the food-producing sector.
4 hour written exam. A graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail.
Obligatory coursework requirements:
Participation on the excursion, including an excursion report. In order to sit an examination, the student must complete and gain approval for any coursework requirements.
There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.