Scholarships (1st year students)
The Department of Language and Culture at UiT is pleased to announce two scholarships of 100 000 NOK (approx. 10 000 Euro) to support exceptionally talented students who would like to pursue a Master’s degree in Theoretical Linguistics at UiT. The scholarships are awarded to support the students through the first year of the degree (2020/2021), which involves coursework. Two more scholarships will be announced in the following year to support two talented students through their work on the master’s thesis during the academic year 2021/2022. All students enrolled in the programme are eligible to apply for the master’s thesis scholarship. As UiT does not charge a tuition fee, the scholarship is meant to cover living expenses.
Who can apply?
- International applicants must have applied to and been accepted into the MA in Theoretical Linguistics programme.
- Nordic applicants must have applied to the MA in Theoretical Linguistics programme in order to be considered for the scholarships, and any offer will be made contingent on the applicant being accepted into the programme.
How to apply?
- Applicants must fill in an electronic application form (application form available HERE)
- All applicants must upload (i) a letter of motivation (approx. 500 words) specifying why they wish to pursue an MA degree in Theoretical Linguistics at UiT and how the degree would benefit their career plans, and (ii) letters of recommendation from two former teachers including contact information.
- All applicants must upload a verified transcript of their grades.
The applications will be evaluated by the programme board.
During the evaluation process the following criteria will be considered:
- Documented academic achievements. For applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent issued in Europe, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand, an average grade equivalent to B or better (in the Norwegian grading system) in the coursework in the relevant field (80 ECTS) is required. For applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent issued in countries other than the above-mentioned region/countries, an average grade equivalent to A (in the Norwegian grading system) in the coursework (80 ECTS) is required.
- Letter of motivation
- Two letters of recommendation from former teachers, including contact information
The grants will not be awarded in the absence of qualified applicants.
The application deadline is April 15, 2020 (23:59 CET) for international and Nordic applicants.
Award and conditions
Successful applicants will be notified by email. The scholarship will be paid out when the beneficiary has arrived at UiT, registered for the required courses and has opened a Norwegian bank account. The scholarship will be paid out in four instalments, contingent on the academic progress of the recipient.
For more information regarding the scholarships in Theoretical Linguistics, please contact the head of the programme board, Martin Krämer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application form – (academic year 2020/2021) available HERE