How to apply for student housing
The Arctic Student Welfare Organisation (Samskipnaden) - Housing Department
The Housing Department offers rental of rooms to students at UiT The Arctic University of Norway in Tromsø, Alta, Narvik, Hammerfest, Harstad and Longyearbyen. NB! Please read the information on this website carefully before applying for student housing.
When you can apply for housing (must read)
- Exchange student: apply as soon as you have received an e-mail from UiT about your nomination.
- Non-exchange students: apply as soon as you have received your Offer of Admission.
- Student housing will be reserved upon request only. The student housing is allocated on a first come, first served basis so the earlier you apply the closer to the front of the queue you are.
- Your student housing place is usually allocated in late July for Autumn intake and November for Spring intake.
- All visa-seeking students: your housing guarantee is your Letter for Visa Purposes , which states that you are guaranteed housing to apply for student visa. Please note that you still have to apply for housing.
- Self-funded (visa-seeking) students: you must transfer your student deposit within the deadline 1 JUNE. This conditon applies only to onsite bachelor's, master's and short programmes non-exchange students.
- Students with family: please read the infromation on this website before applying for housing.
- Online students are not required to transfer fund or apply for housing.
How to apply for housing
- Student Housing in Tromsø
- Student Housing in Alta
- Student Housing in Hammerfest
- Student Housing in Harstad
- Student Housing in Narvik
- Student Housing in Svalbard
NB! It is important that you renew your application for student housing every second month. You will receive an e-mail and/or a message in the app for student housing when it is time to renew your application. If you do not renew your application, it will be cancelled.
Response to your application
- Please make sure to download the Housing App (Bolig Samskipnaden) on your tablette or mobile device: Apple Itunes Store OR Google Play
- Soon after submitting your application for housing, an e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address stated in your application for student housing (please ensure this is correct when you apply) confirming your application has been received. If you don’t receive a confirmation e-mail, please contact the Housing Department.
- NB! It is important that you renew your application for student housing every second month. You will receive an e-mail and/or a message in the app for student housing when it is time to renew your application. If you do not renew your application, it will be cancelled.
- Remember to accept any offer of student housing within the stipulated deadline. If you receive an offer of student housing but decline, your application will be cancelled.
- Sign your tenancy agreement on your page in the app or on the website of the Arctic Student Welafre Organisation.
- Pay your deposit within five days of signing your tenancy agreement and before the moving in date. If you have not received your deposit, you will not be able to pick up your key.
- Pick up your key for the student housing at the Service Centre at the campus office, unless otherwise arranged under Debut WEEK International. If you need to pick up your key outside the opening hours, please see "Where to find the housing service centre" below.
- Due to the large number of students arriving each semester, The Arctic Student Welfare Organisation of Norway cannot guarantee to meet all wishes regarding the location of your student housing. Students who move into student housing cannot be guaranteed to change accommodation due to long waiting lists.
- The number of applicants in Tromsø normally exceeds the number of vacant student single rooms and flats. Consequently, some students will be without a place to live just before the semester starts. We recommend everyone to arrive for the start of the semester nevertheless. In Tromsø, the Student Welfare Organisation offers cheap and basic accommodation in a gymnasium (or similar) for those who need a roof over their head while they search for accommodation on the private market. From our experience, most students find suitable accommodation within one or two weeks. It is much earlier to attend viewings or make new friends to share a flat with once you have arrived in the town/city you will study in. The websites finn.no and hybel.no are good starting points.
- Furniture: The rooms are equipped with basic furniture and share some common facilities: kitchen, bathrooms, toilets, storage rooms and laundry room. The Arctic Student Organisation of Norway provides hardware items in the kitchen: refrigerator, cooker, dining table, chairs, etc. Students should supply their own kitchen equipment.
- Termination: You can terminate your rental agreement. When you give notice, a 2 month notice period starts from the 1st in the following month. E.g. If you give notice October 6th, the notice period starts November 1st., and your contract ends December 31. If you want to terminate your rental agreement, you give notice via your profile at studentbolig.samskipnaden.no. You must pay rent for the notice period, even if you move out earlier. Sent an email to your housing service centre at least two weeks before you move out to schedule the inspection. If you don't pass the inspection, you must clean again. If you are not able to reclean, a fee will be deducted from your deposit.
- Students should supply their own kitchen utensils and duvet, pillow, bed linen (sheets and pillow cases). Please be advised that most of these shops are closed in Norway on Sundays.
Where to find the housing service centre
Teorifagsbygget hus 2, 3rd Floor
Tel.: +47 77 64 90 30
Monday to Friday: 08.00-15.00
Tel.: +47 78 45 05 21
Mon, Tue and Thu: 09.30 - 14.00
Wednesday: 09.30 - 15.00
Friday: 09.30 - 12.00
Lodve Langesgate 2
Tel.: +47 76 96 20 00
Monday – Friday: 08.00 - 15.30
+47 952 94 323 (09:00-14:45)
Monday – Friday: 09.00 - 11.30
Havnegata 9, 9405 Harstad
Tel.: +47 77 05 81 50
Monday-Thursday: 09.00 - 15.00
Friday: 09.00 - 14.00
Follumsvei 4 Nyland, Entrance F
Tel: 78 45 05 25
Monday, Tuesday og Thursday: 09.30 – 14.00
WWesday: 09.30 – 15.00
Friday: 09.30 – 12.00
Last changed: 24.04.2018 10.43