Student Residence Network (cable, byod and Eduroam)
All student residences where UiT serves as internet service provider are connected to UNINETT's gigabit fiber.
Access to the network by cable
Simply plug your network cable into the internet socket in the wall, and you will be connected to the UiT network. You do not need to perform any setup beyond ensuring that the device uses dynamic IP. This is the standard setting for most computers and internet-capable devices.
|If you have a wireless access point in one of your rooms, do not disconnect it from the socket in the wall. If you wish to use a cable to connect to the internet, utilise the ethernet ports at the bottom of the box.|
Frequently asked questions
- May I connect a wireless router to the wired network?
- How do I connect multiple computers to the wired network?
You will need a "switch" for this. See our documentation on "Student Resident Network - Connecting two or more computers to the wired network"
Accessing the wifi
Most residences where UiT serves as network service provider will have wifi. For details on the status of our wifi infrastructure, please see the updated tables at the bottom of our Norwegian documentation here. There are three different wireless networks available.
- SSID Eduroam: Choose this in preference if you are student or employee at UiT. This is the same network as the one available on campus by the same name. For more information please see Wifi - UiT (Eduroam).
- SSID Eduroam 2,4GHZ: Only use this network if your computer or device is too old to use the main "Eduroam" network. Performance is significantly worse than the primary network, which runs at 5ghz.
- SSID BYOD: Use this for devices that do not support Eduroam. This includes TV's, gaming consoles and similar devices. Residents who are not students or employees at UiT may utilise this network for internet access.
Network-ID (SSID): uit-byod - Password: wifibyod
Security protocol: WPA/WPA2-AES (If your device prompts you to choose)
Frequently asked questions
- May I connect Chromecast to the wireless network?
Yes. This is currently being tested in Tromsø, Alta and Hammerfest. Use SSID uit-byod. This is currently not available in Harstad and Narvik.
Student residence network overview
Please see the Norwegian document for the student residence network for an overview of all residences whose networks fall under the purview of UiT, and the availability of wired and wireless internet.
IT support announcements:
Adobe Reader: PDF Dokumenter åpnes ikke i Adobe Reader
Rydding av Orakelets brukerveiledninger
Apple Mac: Endring av måten admin rettigheter håndteres på
Frivillig aktivering av 2-faktor for studenter
All IT-support announcements
Responding to phone and mail requests
- Monday -Friday: 08:00 – 15:00
Visiting hours for the service desk
- Monday - Friday: 09:00 – 15:00
Service desk closed for lunch
- 11:30 - 12:00