Working from home
You can use most of the IT services the University of Tromsø delivers at home. Read more about this here
VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a prerequisite to gain access to many of the university's restricted services. There are several ways to install Anyconnect. We recommend Manual installation for privately set up machines and Installation through Software center for UiT computers.
Download and run this file for the windows installation.
Download and run this file for the mac installation.
Please disregard the sertificate warning when starting the installation.
The server adresse is vpn.uit.no. Click Connect, then choose Group Employees or Students/guests, type your UiT username and password and click OK.
Installation through Software center.
Windows computers set up by our IT department can install Anyconnect through Software center. This will only work when connected to the campus network through eduroam or a network cable.
- VPN AnyConnect installasjon (iPhone, iPad)
- VPN AnyConnect installasjon (Android - GalaxyTab, HTC, Samsung etc.)
Mapping your personal UIT drive from home requires an active VPN connection and Internet connectivity.
- Click the File Explorer (if the button File Explorer is missing in your taskbar, click the Start Button and choose File Explorer)
- Click on "This PC"
- select "Map network drive..."
- Select the desired drive letter, for instance Z:\
- Set the Folder to: \\homer.uit.no\abc123 (replace abc123 with your username)
- Click "Finish"
If you're not using a computer provided by the University of Tromsø, please tick the box "Connect using different credentials". If you need to connect using different credentials, you must give your username on the form ad\abc123 (replace abc123 with your username)
Please note the backslash (\), and do not replace it with a regular slash (/)
Mapping your UIT drive from home requires an active VPN connection to the University of Tromsø as well as Internet connectivity.
- Start "Finder"
- Go to "Connect to Server"
- Connect to the server: cifs://homer.uit.no/abc123 (replace abc123 with your actual username)
- To connect the Z drive, use the server smb://ad.uit.no/uit/the first letter in your user name/your brukernavn (ie: smb://ad.uit.no/uit/o/ono123)
Remote Desktop is a part of the Citrix bundle. To access the Remote Desktop, you must:
If the computer is a university campus computer
If the computer is not connected to the university network (ie. at home)
- Log on to på http://cag.uit.no
- Start: UiT Skrivebord
In order to gain access to the digital University library resources, you need to be connected to any of the networks provided by the University of Tromsø.
There are three main networks provided by the University of Tromsø:
- Wired access on campus for computers maintained by the University of Tromsø
- Wireless access through Eduroam
- Access to the University network through a VPN client (Cisco client).
Install and run Cisco Secure Mobility Client on your computer.
You will find the digital university library resources here: http://www.ub.uit.no.
On LiReg you will find software licensed for UiT that is available for installation on private computers.
Downloaded software are only allowed to be used on computers owned by UiT employees/students. It is not allowed to share the software with other people. Software must be uninstalled when one is no longer a UiT employee/student.
- Start a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.)
- Go to the website https://profil.uit.no/lireg
- Log in with your username and password at the university
- Select the link "All available contracts" (You will now see a list of all the programs that are available to you)
- Click on the "More info" next to the program you want to download / install
- Read the description and click the link verifying that you have read and accepted the terms
- Download / install the program
Responding to phone and mail requests
- Monday -Thursday: 08:00 – 18:00
- Friday: 08:00 - 15:45
Visiting hours for the service desk
- Monday -Thursday: 09:00 – 15:45
- Friday: 09:00 - 15:00
Closed for lunch (Every day)
- 11:30 - 12:00