EU_ARCTYCA: Boosting the EU Arctic Policy: security, safety and sustainability
Project leader: Postdoctor Fellow, Claudia Cinelli, JCLOS.
The primary research objects of EU_ARCTYCA aims at analyzing the EU's expanding role in the Arctic and its ecosystem approach to security, safety and sustainability matters in the Arctic. It will identify key issues and possible tools to be adopted for boosting the EU Arctic policy, while seeking to deploy its actions related to the EU regulatory framework of corporate social responsibility (CSR). The CSR will be take into consideration from environmental perspective, that is the corporate environmental responsibility (CER): corporate commitment to assess business compliance with environmental impact and sustainable development thus assuming responsibility of their business operations.
The main project tasks are:
- To promote the advancing of the implementation of the EU ecosystem approach to Arctic security, safety and sustainability, while including inputs from stakeholder;
- To work with Arctic partners and with the private sector in order to resort to the political economy of CER for enhancing a sustainable environmental protection;
- To enhance the use of environmental impact assessment and its importance as a tool and a channel to put together information for the use of EU decision- and policy-makers and the related legal processes;
- To focus on new geopolitics and their impact on the changing Arctic within international security matters in the context of EU external action in the Arctic;
- to strengthen communication and outreach within the EU and between the EU and the Arctic community about the contribution the EU is making to address Arctic and security, safety and sustainability issues raised by the rapid development of the Arctic region as a result of economic and climate change
Complementarity other projects: COST ACTION 1105 MARSAFENET: http://www.marsafenet.org/
Founding Member of Maritime Safety and Security Law Journal: http://www.marsafelawjournal.org/
The Project is financed by Marie Curie Actions - FP7 - 2013 - IEF.
28 - 29 January 2017, Tromsø
Claudia Cinelli has organised a conference entitled "Protecting the 'Commons' in the Arctic: The role of the EU". For more information about the conference, click here
26 October, Tromsø: Workshop on The EU as a Global Actor in the Arctic.
At JCLOS with prestigious Marie Curie Scholarship. Claudia Cinelli, at the K.G. Jebsen Centre for the Law of the Sea, came to Norway through a prestigious shcolarshop: The Marie Curie Scholarship from the European Union.
Last updated: 16.12.2021 15:39