Academic North Summit
Academic North -project has been a joint endeavor of Luleå University of Technology, University of Tromsø and University of Oulu. Objectives of the project were to promote the proficiency, competitiveness and well-being of the northern parts of the Nordic countries by furthering academic mobility and employment in a socially sustainable way. The project is coming to its end in September 2020 and therefore it is time to gather for the final seminar to hear about the project’s results and recommendations for the future.
Academic North - past, present and future
The program of Academic North SUMMIT is divided into three parts. First day consists of videos that give insight among other topics on the Nordic history of migration and introduce audience to Arctic Five Universities, cities and some large employers in the area. Audience can watch the videos in their own pace and send comments or questions which will be read on the second day.
Second day of the Academic North SUMMIT focuses on the present situation and challenges that cross-border labor-based mobility possesses. The program includes videos presented by a moderator at live-studio. After each video, moderator will engage in a discussion with couple of experts on the issue and audience can participate in the dialogue through chat function.
Third day will try to look into a crystal ball and predict the future. In the Academic North SUMMIT we will get to hear ideas and visions from some of the top decision-makers in Finland, Sweden and Norway. The third day will climax at the approval of Oulu Call for Action that lists tasks and actions to be taken for advancing cross-border labour-based mobility of academically educated and equal recruitment practices in the Arctic North.
You are most welcome to participate the Academic North SUMMIT from wherever you happen to be whenever it suits you best. Participating the event when is completely free and it requires only a computer, Internet connection and Zoom application. The entire program including the live-sessions will be collected into an online platform where it remains to be visible even after the project has ended, but we strongly recommend that you will participate in the seminar as it is ongoing because it gives you the opportunity to interact with experts and other viewers.
Link to Registration
Just fill in a registration form to the Academic North SUMMIT
Academic North Summit includes interesting and inspiring speeches from top scholars, officials and decision makers.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Paula Lehtomäki, Secretary General at Nordic Council of Ministers.
- Anna Hallberg, Swedish Minister for Foreign Trade and Nordic Affairs.
- Thomas Blomqvist, Finnish Minister for Nordic Cooperation and Equality.
- Iiris Mäntyranta, Program leader of Interreg Nord.
- Lena Abrahamsson, Chairman of the board of the Faculty of science and technology, Dean of the Faculty of engineering at Luleå University of Technology.
- Christina Mörtberg, Professor Emerita at Department of Informatics at Linnaeus University.
- Eeva-Kaisa Prokkola, Professor in Human Geography at University of Oulu.
- Charlotta Collén, Strategy Director at University of Oulu.
- Pål Markusson, Senior lecturer at UiT and Vice-President of Mobility at UArctic.
- Nils Arne Johnsen, Director Industry and Economic Development at Troms County Council.
Confirmed panelists include:
- How to find a job from North - advertising/finding information on cross-border job opportunities
- o Miia Narkaus, Project Manager at Arbeta tillsammans -project, OSAO.
- o Outi Tolonen, Career specialist at University of Oulu.
- o Carolien Vandermissen, Senior Advisor EURES and NAV Troms and Finnmark.
- Recruiting practices across borders - employers point of view
- o Virpi Saari, HR Business TLO (Talent, Leadership and Organization Development) at Nokia.
- o Stig Falk-Petersen, Senior researcher at Akvaplan-Niva.
- Support for cross-border hires
- o Sergei Kopytin, Coordinator for International Affair, Unit for Strategy and Science Policy at University of Oulu.
The final programme will be published on this site little later.