The 4th Korea Arctic Academy, July 5-14, 2018 - Opportunity for Students
UArctic and the Korea Maritime Institute (KMI) are pleased to announce an opportunity for students from UArctic member institutions in Arctic States to participate in the 4th Korea Arctic Academy in Korea - a 10 day study program in July 5-14, 2018 at KMI together with students from Korean universities.
The UArctic student group will be joined by 10 selected students from Korean universities. Participants will need to be available for the 10-day Program and consider their travel time to Korea.
The Program will include lectures on Arctic issues (4 to 5 days) given by international or Korean experts, and field trips (3 to 4 days) to Arctic related organizations, research institutions, and industrial sites in Korea.
A certificate of completion will be co-issued by UArctic and KMI to participants who successfully complete the program.
UArctic members from Arctic States ( UArctic member institutions from the Arctic Council member states: US, Canada, Russia, Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Norway and Denmark/Greenland/Faroe Islands) will nominate two students per member institution to participate in this program.
Interested students are asked to submit a CV (should include email address and telephone number) and motivation letter together in one document, and send to email@example.com by March 28, 2018. .
The following eligibility criteria apply:
Students with an indigenous background will be given preference for the program during the selection process. The program is open to students of all academic backgrounds.
-The student should be registered at a UArctic member institution in an Arctic State for an academic degree
-The student should have finished their second year of bachelor study
-The student is motivated to actively participate and to enhance understanding of the Arctic and Korea
-The student must have sufficient knowledge of English, both oral and written
The organizer (will be announced soon, tentatively KMI) in Korea will cover:
- Round-trip flight tickets between Korea (Busan) and the nearest airport to the student
- Designated accommodation in Korea during the official period of the Academy (4-14 July, 11 nights)
- Additional lodging caused inevitably by flight schedule in accordance to KMI’s financial guideline
- Transportation within Korea needed for participation in the program activities
- meals included in official program
*KMI will not be providing any other types of support other than the ones mentioned above.
Students are responsible for the following expenses:
- Personal travel insurance covering medical expenses, flight accidents etc.
- Costs incurring from taking land transportation within one’s own country
- Costs for activities that is not part of the official program
- Costs for additional stay in Korea before or after the official program period, 4(check-in)-15(check-out), July
- Any additional costs resulting from altering the flight schedule provided by organizer to include other destinations other than the student’s home country
- Other personal expenses such as costs for issuing passport and documentations needed for participating in the Academy