The 50 latest publications is shown on this page. See all publications in Cristin here →
My research is focused on; 1) ecosystem dynamics of the Barents Sea and coastal areas analysed using mass-balance modeling and stable isotopes analysis, 2) dynamics of coastal fish nursery areas and 3) life-history studies of fish.
I am teaching on the following courses “Foodwebs and Fisheries”, “Arctic Marine System Ecology”, “Resources in norther areas” and “Marine Ecology”
Member of research group
Born: 8 July 1959, Sortland in Vesterålen
Adress: Sørliaveien 42, 9018 Tromsø
1985 Master (Cand. Scient.) in Fisheries Biology, University of Bergen, Norway
1986 Research fellow, Institute of Marine Research, (Austevoll) Bergen
1986-1993 Research fellow at University of Tromsø
1994 PhD (Dr. Scient.) in Resource Biology, University of Tromsø, Norway
1994-2009 Associate professor in Fisheries Biology at University of Tromsø
2009- Professor in Fisheries Biology at University of Tromsø
Publications with peer review published after 2015, 76 in total since 1984
76. Planque, B., Aarflot, J.M., Buttay, L., Carroll, J.L., Frasner, F., Hansen, C., Husson, B., Langangen, Ø., Lindstrøm, U., Pedersen, T., Primicerio, R., Sivel, E., Skogen, M.D., Strombom, E., Stige, L.C., Varpe, Ø., Yoccoz, N.G., 2022. A standard protocol for describing the evaluation of ecological models. Ecol. Modell. 471, 110059
75. Pedersen (2022). Comparison between trophic positions in the Barents Sea estimated from stable isotope data and a mass balance model. Front. Mar. Sci., 9: 813977 doi: 10.3389/fmars.2022.813977
74. Ofstad, L.H., Hjatun, H., Pedersen, T., Steingrund, P., Mikkelsen, B., (2022). Horizontal and vertical migration of anglerfish Lophius piscatorius in relation to hydrography in Faroese waters. Front. Mar. Sci., 9: doi: 10.3389/fmars.2022.823066
73. Sørensen & Pedersen (2021). Effects of season, bottom substrate and population dynamics on fish communities in shallow northeast Atlantic coastal waters. J. Sea Res., 178: 102136
72. Pedersen, T., Mikkelsen, N., Lindstrøm, U., Renaud, P.E., Nascimento, M.C., Blanchet, M-A., Ellingsen, I., Jørgensen, L.L., Blanchet, H., 2021. Overexploitation, recovery and warming of the Barents Sea Ecosystem during 1950-2013. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:732637.
71. Vilas, D., Coll, M., Pedersen, T., Corrales, X., Filbee-Dexter, K., Wernberg, T.2020. Future trajectories of change for an Arctic deep-sea ecosystem connected to coastal kelp forests. Restoration Ecology. 29, No. S2, e13327. doi: 10.1111/rec.13327
70. Ramirez-Llodra, E., Pedersen, T., Filbee-Dexter, K., Hauquier, F., Guilini, K., Mikkelsen, N., Borgersen, G., Van Gyseghem, M., Vanreusel, A., Vilas, D. 2020. Community structure of deep fjord and shelf benthic fauna receiving different detrital inputs in northern Norway. Deep Sea Res (I Oceanogr Res Pap) doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.2020.103433.
69. Aykanat, T., Rasmussen, M., Ozerov, M., Niemäla, E., Paulin, L., Vaha, J-P., Hindar, K., Wennevik, V., Pedersen, T., Svenning, M., Primmer, C., 2020. Life history genomic regions explain differences in Atlantic salmon marine diet specialization. J. Animal Ecol., 89:2677-2691
68. Pedersen, T., Strand, H.K., Christie, H., Moy, F., 2020. Predation mortality from ambush and cruising predators on newly settled 0-group gadoids. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 529: 151396.
67. Strand, H. K., Pedersen, T., Christie, C., Moy, F., 2020. Synergism between cruising cod and ambush sculpin predators on 0-group gadoids is modified by daylight cycle and presence of aggressive wolffish. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 526:151356 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2020.151356)
66. Vilas, D., Coll, M., Pedersen, T., Corrales, X., Filbee-Dexter, K., Pedersen, M.F., Norderhaug, K.M., Fredriksen, S., Wernberg, T., Ramírez-Llodra, E., 2020. Kelp-carbon uptake by Arctic deep-sea food webs plays a noticeable role in maintaining ecosystem structural and functional traits. J. Mar. Sys., 203:103268 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2019.103268)
65. Michelsen, H.K., Nilssen, E.M., Pedersen, T., Svensen, C., 2020. Temporal and spatial dynamics of the invasive red king crab and native brachyuran and anomuran larvae in Norwegian waters. Aquatic Biology, 29:1-16 (http://www.int-res.com/prepress/b00720.html)
64. Christie, H., Gundersen, H., Rinde, E., Filbee-Dexter, K., Norderhaug, K., Pedersen, T., Bekkby, T., Gitmark, J., Fagerli, C., 2019. Can multitrophic interactions and ocean warming influence large- scale kelp recovery? Ecology and Evolution, 9:2847-2862
63. Pedersen T., Fuhrmann M.M., Lindstrøm U., Nilssen E.M., Ivarjord T., Ramasco V., Jørgensen L.L., Sundet J.H., Sivertsen K., Källgren E., Hjelset A.M., Michaelsen C., Systad G., Norrbin F., Svenning M.A., Bjørge A., Steen H., Nilssen K.T. (in press). Effects of the invasive red king crab on food web structure and properties in an Atlantic fjord. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., DOI: https://doi.org/10.3354/meps12548
62. Michelsen, H.K., Nilssen, E.M., Pedersen. T., Reigstad, M., Svensen, C., 2017. Spatial patterns of spring meroplankton along environmental gradients in a sub-arctic fjord. Aquatic Biology, 26: 185-197.
61. Michelsen, H.K., Svensen, C., Reigstad, M., Nilssen, E.M., Pedersen. T., 2017. Seasonal dynamics of meroplankton in a high-latitude fjord. J. Mar. Sys., 168: 17-30.
60. Fuhrmann M.M., Pedersen T., Nilssen E.M., 2017. Trophic niche of the invasive red king crab Paralithodes camtschaticus in a benthic food web. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 565:113-129
59. Mikkelsen N., Pedersen T., 2017. Invasive red king crabs feed on both spawned-out capelin and their eggs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., 563: 139-155.
58. Mikkelsen, N., Pedersen, T., dos Santos Schmidt T.C., Falk-Petersen, I-B., Slotte, A. 2017. Are life histories of Norwegian fjord herring populations of Pacific ancestry similar to those of Atlantic or Pacific herring? J. Mar. Sys., http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marsys.2016.12.004
57. Pedersen, T, Ramsvatn, S., Nilssen, E. M., Nilsen, M., Morissette, L., Ivarjord, T., Systad, G. H., Kolsum, I., and Fause, H. T., 2016. Species diversity affects ecosystem structure and mass flows in fjords. Regional Studies in Marine Science, 3: 205 - 215.
56. Fuhrmann, M.M., Pedersen, T., Ramasco, V., and Nilssen, E.M., 2015. Macrobenthic biomass and production in a heterogenic subarctic fjord after invasion by the red king crab. Journal of Sea Research, 106: 1-13.
55. Gjøsæter, H., Halfredsson, E., Mikkelsen, N., Bogstad, B., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Predation on early life stages is decisive for year class strength of the Barents Sea capelin (Mallotus villosus) stock. ICES J Mar Sci, doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsv177
54. Fevolden, S.E,Westgaard, J-I., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Extreme male-skewed sex ratios on spawning grounds for Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L) with typical coastal cod signatures of the Pan I (pantophysin) locus. Sexuality and Early Development in Aquatic Organisms, 1: 133-142
53. Thorvaldsen, R., Barrett, R. T., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Black-legged kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) adults and chicks share the same diet in the southern Barents Sea. Marine Ornithology, 43: 95-100.
52. Källgren, E. K., Nilssen, E. M., and Pedersen, T., 2015. Food resource partitioning between three sympatric fish species in Porsangerfjord, Norway. Polar Biology, 38:583-589.
Dr. scient. (PhD) thesis
Pedersen, T., 1993. Aspects of start-feeding and rearing of cod (Gadus morhua L.) juveniles employed in enhancement studies of coastal cod populations. Dr. scient. thesis, The Norwegian College of Fishery Science, University of Tromsø, Norway, Tromsø. 141 pp.
Referee in journal and symp. proceedings
Aquaculture, Aquatic Living Resources, Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, DeepSea Research II, Ecological Modelling, Ecography, Fisheries Research, Fisheries Management and Ecology, Fishery Bulletin, Food webs, Frontiers in Marine Science, ICES Journal of Marine Science, Hydrobiologia, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Journal of Fish Biology, Journal of Marine Systems, Journal of Sea Research, Sarsia, Marine Biology Research, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Nature Communications, Polar Biology, Progress in Oceanography, proceedings from 5 international symposia
Administration and project leadership
1994-1997 Leader of the project “Enhancement of cod stocks in fjords”. The project was a part of the PUSH-program (Program for development and stimulation of stock enhancement). Supported by the Norwegian Department for Fisheries.
1994-1997 Leader for the project ”Effects of predation on recruitment variability in cod stocks” funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
2001-2005 Leader for ”Workpackage 3 ”Predator-prey interactions in the field” within the strategic program BASECOEX (Capelin and Herring in the Barents Sea – Coexistence or Exclusion) supported by the Norwegian Research Council
1995 and 2005-2008 Member of the board at NorwegianCollege for Fishery Research, University of Tromsø
2008-2011 Responsible for Ecopath-modelling on the Strategic Institute Program (EPIGRAPH) run by the Institute of Marine Research, Norway.
2008- 2012 Leader for the project “Investigating coastal ecosystem structure and dynamics using Ecopath/Ecosim ecosystem models and stable isotope data” funded by the Research Council of Norway
2022 Research group leader for Arctic System Ecology at UiT
Have acted as external supervisor for master students Søren Poulsen (University of Copenhagen, Denmark), Jeroen van der Kooij and Jolanda Luxemburg (University of Groeningen, The Netherlands), Jane Godiksen (University of Århus, Denmark).
1997- Participated and a partner in the international EU-funded project “Placing Fisheries in their Ecosystem Context”, see: http://www.ecopath.org/ .
2004 Convenor for the session “Theme Session DD on Mortality and Linkages between Fish
Eggs/Larvae and their Predators in Marine Ecosystems – A Multidisciplinary Approach“ at the ICES Annual Science Meeting in VigoSpain
2007 Convenor for the ECONORTH (Ecosystem Dynamics in the Norwegian Sea and Barents Sea) Symposium that was held at the NorwegianCollege of Fishery Science, University of Tromsø, Norway, 12.th - 15.th March 2007. Guest Co-editor for symposium proceedings published in Deep Sea Research II, volume 56, issues 21-22.
2015 Organizer of international workshop on “Ecology of northern fjords”, Tromsø 25-27 november 2015
2017 Participating in ICES Working Group WGIBAR
Has extensive teaching experience on courses in fishery and resource biology since 1993. Responsible for course in ecological modelling in 2006. Have given lectures in courses in general ecological methodology, marine ecology, in resource biology and marine living resources, and marine system ecology. Have given lecture at international PhD course in “Nursery ground Ecology” in Bergen 2009. Are responsible and major teacher for the course "Foodwebs and Fisheries" at master level.
Supervision of master and PhD students
Have supervised 39 master students on their master thesis and are currently supervising four master students.
Have supervised nine PhD students; Elvar Hallfredsson (2001-2006), Marianne Nilsen (2003-2007), Lise H. Ofstad (2009-2013), Silje Ramsvatn (2009-2013), Nina Mikkelsen (2004-2013) and Kristin Windsland (2008-2014), Mona Fuhrman (2010-2016), Helena Michelsen (2013-2017) and Lars Henrik Larsen (2013-2017), which have defended their degree
Evaluation commisions for master and PhD degrees
Has been member of more than 60 committees for evaluation of final master exams (including evaluation of theses) at University of Tromsø, University of Bergen, University of Oslo, Nord University and University of Copenhagen. Has been member of 17 PhD evaluation committees, five as coordinator at University of Tromsø, nine as opponent in committees at University of Bergen, two as opponent at University of Aarhus in Denmark and one in Denmark Technical University, Copenhagen.