How to apply for student housing - new students
The Arctic Student Welfare Organisation (Samskipnaden) – Housing Department
Would you like to live surrounded by nature and forest or a view over beautiful Norwegian mountains and valleys? Or do you prefer to live in the city centre with cafés, shops and theatres at your doorstep? Our partner, the Housing Department at the Arctic Student Organisation of Norway (Samskipnaden) offers rental of student housing for students at UiT The Arctic University of Norway in Tromsø, Alta, Hammerfest, Harstad and Longyearbyen where you can quickly build your social network and make new friends by living exactly where so many other students choose to live.
NB! The information on this website is for admitted onsite students to exchange programmes, non-online Short Programmes, Bachelor's programmes and Master's programmes. Please read the information on this website carefully before applying for student housing.
When you can apply for housing (must read)?
Inbound Exchange/Traineeship students: apply as soon as you have received an e-mail from UiT about your nomination.
Master, Bachelor & onsite One-Year programme students: apply as soon as you have received your Offer of Admission.
- When will I receive a housing offer? The student housing is allocated on a first come, first served basis so the earlier you apply the closer to the front of the queue you are. Decisions: your student housing place is usually allocated late in July for the autumn semester and November for the spring semester. Please note: You MUST apply for student housing to have a room reserved for you. Students who have not applied for housing must look for housing in the private market.
- Visa-seeking students (NON EU/EFTA citizens): your housing guarantee is your Letter for Visa Purposes , which states that you are guaranteed housing to apply for student visa. Condition for Housing Guarantee: you must apply for housing to reserve a room to qualify for housing guarantee.
Master, Bachelor & onsite One-Year programme students (NON EU/EFTA citizens): As required in the proof of financial ability, you MUST transfer your student deposit within the deadline 1 JUNE. NB: Online Students: you are NOT required to transfer any funds or apply for student housing.
Students with family: please read the infromation on this website before applying for housing.
How to apply for housing
NB! It is important that you renew your application for student housing every second month. You will receive an e-mail and/or a message in the app for student housing when it is time to renew your application. If you do not renew your application, it will be cancelled.
Response to your application
- Please make sure to download the Housing App (Bolig Samskipnaden) on your tablette or mobile device: Apple Itunes Store OR Google Play
- Soon after submitting your application for housing, an e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address stated in your application for student housing (please ensure this is correct when you apply) confirming your application has been received. If you don’t receive a confirmation e-mail, please contact the Housing Department.
- NB! It is important that you renew your application for student housing every second month. You will receive an e-mail and/or a message in the app for student housing when it is time to renew your application. If you do not renew your application, it will be cancelled.
- Remember to accept any offer of student housing within the stipulated deadline. If you receive an offer of student housing but decline, your application will be cancelled.
- Sign your tenancy agreement on your page in the app or on the website of the Arctic Student Welafre Organisation.
- Pay your deposit within five days of signing your tenancy agreement and before the moving in date. If you have not paid your deposit, you will not be able to pick up your key.
- Pick up your key for the student housing at the Service Centre at the campus office, unless otherwise arranged under Debut WEEK International. If you need to pick up your key outside the opening hours, please see "Where to contact the housing service centre" below.
- Due to the large number of students arriving each semester, The Arctic Student Welfare Organisation of Norway cannot guarantee to meet all wishes regarding the location of your student housing. Students who move into student housing cannot be guaranteed to change accommodation due to long waiting lists.
- Furniture: The rooms are equipped with basic furniture and share some common facilities: kitchen, bathrooms, toilets, storage rooms and laundry room. The Arctic Student Organisation of Norway provides hardware items in the kitchen: refrigerator, cooker, dining table, chairs, etc. Students should supply their own kitchen equipment.
- Termination: You can terminate your rental agreement. When you give notice, a 2 month notice period starts from the 1st in the following month. E.g. If you give notice October 6th, the notice period starts November 1st., and your contract ends December 31. If you want to terminate your rental agreement, you give notice via your profile at studentbolig.samskipnaden.no. You must pay rent for the notice period, even if you move out earlier.
- Students should supply their own kitchen utensils and duvet, pillow, bed linen (sheets and pillow cases). Please be advised that most of these shops are closed in Norway on Sundays.
How to get room keys: opening hours and contact information
Link to information about the opening hours, contact details: Samskipnaden | Contact the Housing Office
Last changed: 24.03.2023 15.14