NTF-8001 Present your science - 2 ECTS
To take PhD courses you need to have at least a master's degree or equivalent. PhD students are exempt from semester fee.
PhD students at UiT The Arctic University of Norway register for the course through StudentWeb .
External applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb. Application code 9303. All external applicants have to attach a confirmation of their status as a PhD student from their home institution.
After this course, you will
- have insight in key elements of scientific abstracts and how their use may depend on the type of abstract (conference presentation, article, thesis, etc.)
- be able to select your most important message and make it come across in written and oral communication
- be able to analyze and reflect on the structure of a scientific abstract
- be able to reflect on the use of jargon in scientific presentations
- be able to give written and oral feedback on presentations of others
- be able to reflect on adapting a presentation to a particular audience
- be able use peer-reviewing as a tool to improve your and your peers' scientific presentations
- be able to present your PhD project through abstracts, posters and flash presentations
The course is given semi-intensively over three or four weeks with weekly assignments in Canvas. There will be three or four organized sessions of 3 hours each, consisting mainly of short exercises, student presentations and peer feedback. This comes in addition to individual work on the presentations and portfolio and peer-reviewing peer presentations.
Canvas will be used to provide the participants with information about the course and weekly assignments, various resources for preparing the presentations as well as guidelines for the peer-reviewing and the portfolio.
Assessment of the course is through a portfolio reflecting on the systematic improvements made on at least a scientific abstract, scientific poster and flash presentation. Detailed guidelines will be made available at the beginning of the course. Participants will get feedback on their portfolio during the course. The final version of the portfolio will be evaluated as pass/fail.
No re-sit exam.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 2
- Course code: NTF-8001
- Responsible unit
- Department of Chemistry