Workshop: Mapping The Arctic Ocean
The K. G. Jebsen Centre for the Law of the Sea will host a workshop entitled 'Mapping the Arctic Ocean: An Interdisciplinary Workshop to Map the Frontiers of Knowledge".
Click here to register.
Mapping the Arctic Ocean:
An Interdisciplinary Workshop to Map the Frontiers of Knowledge
Date: Tuesday, 5 June 2018
Location: The workshop will take place at Árdna, The Sami Cultural house of UiT. Click here to see where Árdna is located.
Lunch will be provided during the workshop.
Workshop Summary: The JCLOS workshop 'Mapping the Arctic Ocean' is an interdisciplinary event that aims to bring together experts from a variety of fields to discuss the pressing issues revolving around the Arctic Ocean, from climate change’s effect on the Arctic marine environment to biological resource beyond national jurisdiction. The workshop is based upon the idea that multiple ways of ‘mapping’ exist. Scientists can map the seafloor, just as lawyers can ‘map’ legal frameworks. Both approaches identify known knowledge, and implicitly the frontiers of knowledge. Dr. Larry Mayer, the Director of the Center for Coastal & Ocean Mapping/Joint Hydrographic Center at the University of New Hampshire (USA) will give the keynote for the workshop, exploring how the Arctic Ocean’s seafloor has been mapped and how these efforts tie into Law of the Sea. By bringing together a diverse group of speakers, the workshop’s goal is to explore how these different types of mapping manifest and interact with each other in the Arctic Ocean. Holding this workshop at Àrdna—‘The House of Discussion’—is an appropriate venue as this event aims to share different disciplines’ perspectives on the Arctic Ocean and facilitate interdisciplinary dialogue and understanding.
- Dr. Larry Mayer, Marine Geophysicist/Ocean Mapper, Director of the Center for Coastal & Ocean Mapping/Joint Hydrographic Center, University of New Hampshire, USA
- Dr. Paul Wassmann, Marine Ecologist, Professor of Arctic Marine Ecology, Institute of Arctic and Marine Biology, Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economy, UiT-Arctic University of Norway
- Dr. Ingvild Ulrikke Jakobsen, Professor, K.G. Jebsen Centre for Law of the Sea, UiT-Arctic University of Norway
- Dr. Vito De Lucia, Post Doc Fellow, K.G. Jebsen Centre for Law of the Sea, UiT-Arctic University of Norway
- Dr. Berit Kristoffersen, Political Geographer, Associate Professor, Department of Social Sciences, UiT-Arctic University of Norway
- Dr. Arne Eide, Economist, Professor dr. Philos, Norwegian Fisheries College, UiT-Arctic University of Norway