MAS-2502 Thermodynamics - 10 ECTS
- Thermodynamic systems
- Propoerty, state, proecss and equilibriuim
- Energy and first law of thermodynamics
- Energy transfer by work of heat
- Energy balance for systems and cycles
- Evaluating & retrieving thermodynamic properties of a system
- Tables of thermodynamic properties
- Conservation of mass and energy for a control volume
- Second law of thermodynamics
- Introduction to vapor power cycles
- Vapor refrigeration and heat pump systems
- Basics of heat transfer (conduction & convection)
After passing the course, students will have the following learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding:
This course aims to build the foundation for preparing students to get an understanding and work professionally in the area of thermodynamics and related processes.
Students will learn to apply their knowledge in the subject to solve general and specific problems in thermodynamics on a well-founded and understandable way.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the theories and concepts regarding thermodynamics & basics of heat transfer.
- Describe functions and usage of thermodynamic processes and related components, e.g. heat pumps.
- Apply principles of engineering, basic science and mathematics to model, analyse, design and realize thermodynamics systems, components and processes.
- Perform technical calculations on systems as well as components within the technical area.
Courswork / Course requirements
There will be class lectures and it is encouraged that all students attend the lectures and participate actively to learn more about the course subject. There will be lab work during this course. All students will be required to submit the lab work report/assignment to appear in the final exam.
There will be two assignments in the course. It is mandatory for students to submit these assignments. No student will be allowed to sit in the final written exam, in case they do not submit the assignments.
Examination and assessment
There will be a written exam. 100 % Grade will be awarded on the basis of final written exam.
There will be compulsory lab exercises and students are required to submit the lab work report. These lab exercises will not have any grading, but will be mandatory to submit and pass to appear in the final exam.
A re-sit exam will be arranged for the students who will not pass the written exam.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik | Digital | Other |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: MAS-2502
- Responsible unit
- Department of Industrial Engineering