The 50 latest publications is shown on this page. See all publications in Cristin here →
Member of research group
Member of project
CURRENT AND PREVIOUS POSITIONS
2017-present: Professor and head of Departement of Mathematics and Statistics, UiT
2012-2017: Associate Professor at the UiT The Arctic University of Norway
2009-2012: Post doc., University of Tromsø. Grant from the Norwegian Research Council.
2008-2009: Researcher, Northern Research Institute.
2004-2008: PhD position, University of Tromsø. Grant from the Norwegian Research Council.
2008: PhD in mathematics: Dynamical and Stochastic Aspects of Self-Organized Critical Systems. Disputation date: 08.11.2008. Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Tromsø, Norway.
Supervisor: Boris Kruglikov. 2004: Cand. Scient. in mathematics, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Tromsø, Norway.
Two-time recipient of the Faculty Teaching Price, Faculty of Science and Technology, UiT The Arctic University of Norway. (2007 and 2015)
SUPERVISION OF GRADUATE STUDENTS AND RESEARCH FELLOWS
• Supervisor of two PhD students (O. Løvsletten defended in 2014 and H.-B. Fredriksen defended in 2017)
• Currently supervisor of one PhD student (R. Steene)
• Currently co-supervisor of two PhD students (T. Nilsen and A. Theodorsen)
• Supervisor of 16 master students (Martinsen, Johansen, Mentzoni, Sund, Løvsletten, Polina, Checkanova, Smolkova, Zankova, Jespersen, Myklebust, Skagseth, Holmstrand, Grabovskaia, Tranås, Yong)
• Lecturer in Specialized curriculum in Industrial Mathematics (2009, 2014, 2016)
• Lecturer in Calculus (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
• Lecturer in Multivariate Calculus (2005, 2014, 2016)
• Lecturer in Linear Algebra (2007, 2013)
• Lecturer in Chaos and Fractals (2004)
• Lecturer in Mathematics Pre-course (2005)
• Teaching Assistant in Electromagnetism (two semesters)
• Teaching Assistant in Complex Analysis (one semesters)
• Teaching Assistant in Differential equations (one semesters)
• Teaching Assistant in Calculus (three semesters)
• Teaching Assistant in Linear Algebra (one semesters)
• Teaching Assistant in Users course in Mathematics (two semesters)
• Member of the UiT committee on sustainability (since 2019)
• Faculty board member, Faculty of Science and Technology, UiT (2014-2018)
• Coordinator for student athletes at the Faculty of Science (2010-2015)
• Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Sep. 2010-Des. 2010).
• University of Granada, Spain (Apr. 2015-May 2015).
• University of California San Diego (Jan. 2017 - Jun. 2017).
NON-ACADEMIC POSITIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Consultant for the Norwegian Olympic Team (2013-2015)
• Speaker at “Olympiatoppen” workshop (2012)
• Invited Speaker at Norwegian Athletics Coaches Association’s workshop (2006)
• Lecturer and instructor in athletics at the Faculty of Health Sciences, UiT (2012, 2013 and 2014).
• Coordinator for student athletes at the Faculty of Science (2010-2015)
• Coach three-times Norwegian champion relay team.
Personal athletic achievements:
• Norwegian 100m champion (2005 and 2006)
• Norwegian 60m champion (2003, 2004, 2005 and 2010)
• Norwegian 200m indoor champion (2001,2002 and 2005)
• European Championship 60m semi-finalist (2007)
• European Championship 100m quarter-finalist (2006)
• Recipient of “Troms Idrettskrets Hederstegn” (2010)
• Leading the UiT initiative on "The Dynamics of the Climate in the Arctic".
• Leader of a project in market risk analysis, which was partly financed by Sparebank-1 Nord-Norge and the Norwegian Research Council.
• Co-managing the research project “Long-range memory in Earth’s climate response and the implications for future global warming“. The project is funded by the NRC (project number 229754-E10).
• Leader and coach of a group of high-level athletes (sprinters) in Tromsø 2003-2011. The team has won several Norwegian Championships and qualified for international events.
POPULARIZATION, OUTREACH AND IN MEDIA
• Kan vi forutse epidemier?
• Breakthrough in predicting dengue fever outbreaks
• Breakthrough predicting dengue fever outbreaks
• UiT-forsker med gjennombrudd: Modell kan forutsi omfanget av dengue-epidemier
• Media mente forskerne avlyste «klimaskrekkscenario»: Dette fant vi da vi gikk studien deres i sømmene
• Kawasaki’s disease: one disease multiple triggers
• “En Felles Arena”. Recruitment project with K. Rypdal. (2008)
• Are interest rates predictable? (with G. Andreassen), Faculty organized popular talk (2011)
• Presentations of Applied Mathematics. Kongsbakken vgs and Nordkjosbotn vgs (2011)
• Fun with Fractals. Nord-Norsk Vitensenter. (2011)
• Presentation of Mathematics and Finance. Nord-Norsk Vitensenter (2011)
Articles in newspapers and magazines:
• “Rasende Dynamikk”. (with K. Rypdal), Avisa Nordlys (2008)
• “Hva bestemmer nivået?” (with K. Rypdal), Bladet Friidrett (2006)
- Rypdal M., N. Boers, H.-B. Fredriksen, K.-U. Eiselt, A. Johansen, A. Martinsen, E. F. Mentzoni, R. Graversen, and K. Rypdal Estimating Remaining Carbon Budgets Using Emulators of CMIP6 Models, in review at Communications Earth and Environment
- Nova N., E. R. Deyle, M. S. Shocket, A. J. MacDonald, M. L. Childs, M. Rypdal, G. Sugihara, E. A. Mordecai, Susceptible host availability modulates climate effects on dengue dynamics, Accepted in Ecology Letters November 2020 doi:10.1111/ele.13652
- Rypdal, K. and M. Rypdal, A parsimonious description and cross-country analysis of COVID-19 epidemic curve, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 17(18), 2020, 6487 (Link to paper)
- Rypdal M., Rypdal V., Jakobsen P., Ytterstad E., Løvsletten O., Klingenberg C., Rypdal K., Modelling Suggests Limited Change in the Reproduction Number from Reopening Norwegian Kindergartens and Schools During the COVID-19 Pandemic (Link to preprint)
- Rypdal, M. and G. Sugihara, Inter-outbreak stability reflects the size of the susceptible pool and forecasts magnitudes of seasonal epidemics, Nature Communications 10, 2019, 2374 (Link to paper)
- Rypdal V., J. Guzman, A. Henrey, T. Loughin, M. Glerup, E. D. Arnstad, K. Aalto, M. Rygg, S. Nielsen, T. Herlin, A. Fasth, L. Berntson, M. Rypdal, E. Nordal, Validation of prediction models of severe disease course and non-achievement of remission in juvenile idiopathic arthritis: part 1—results of the Canadian model in the Nordic cohort, Arthritis Research & Therapy 21, 2019 (Link to paper)
- Henrey A., V. Rypdal, M. Rypdal, T. Loughin, E. Nordal, and J. Guzman, for the ReACCh-Out and NoSPeR Investigators,Validation of prediction models of severe disease course and non-achievement of remission in juvenile idiopathic arthritis part 2: results of the Nordic model in the Canadian cohort, Arthritis Research & Therapy 22, 2020 (Link to paper)
- Myrvoll-Nilsen, E., S. H. Sørbye, H.-B. Fredriksen, H. Rue, M. Rypdal, Statistical estimation of global surface temperature response to forcing under the assumption of temporal scaling, Earth System Dynamics (2020), 11, 329–345. (Link to paper).
- Myrvoll-Nilsen, E. H-B. Fredriksen, S. H. Sørbye, M. Rypdal, Warming trends and long-range dependent climate variability since year 1900: a Bayesian approach. Frontiers in Earth Science 7, 2019, 214 (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, M., H.-B. Fredriksen, E. Myrvold-Nilsen, S. H. Sørbye and K. Rypdal, Emergent Scale Invariance and Climate Sensitivity, Climate, 2018. 6(4), 93. (Link to paper)
- Franzke, C., S. Barbosa, R. Blender, H.-B. Fredriksen, T. Laepple, F. Lambert, T. Nilsen, K. Rypdal, M. Rypdal, M. G. Scotto, S. Vannitsem, N. W. Watkins, L. Yang, N. Yuan, The Structure of Climate Variability Across Scales, Reviews of Geophysics, 2020 58, e2019RG000657 (Link to paper).
- Nilsen, T., J. P. Werner, D. V. Divine and M. Rypdal, Assessing the performance of the BARCAST climate field reconstruction technique for a climate with long-range memory, Climate of the Past, 2018. 14: p. 947-967. (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, V., E. D. Arnstad, K. Aalto, L. Berntson, M. Ekelund, A. Fasth, M. Glerup, T. Herlin, S. Nielsen, S. Peltoniemi, M. Zak, M. Rygg, M. Rypdal, E. Nordal, Predicting unfavorable long-term outcome in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Results from the Nordic cohort study, Arthritis Research & Therapy 2018, 20:91 (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, M., H.-B. Fredriksen, K. Rypdal and R. Steene, Emergent constraint on equilibrium climate sensitivity, Nature 2018, 563: p. E4-E5. (link to paper)
- Rypdal, M., V. Rypdal, J. A. Burney, D. Cayan, E. Bainto, S. Skochko, A. H. Tremoulet, J. Creamean, C. Shimizu, J. Kim and J. C. Burns, Clustering and climate associations of Kawasaki Disease in San Diego County suggest environmental triggers, Scientific Reports 2018. 8: 16140. (link to paper)
- Fredriksen, H-.B. and M. Rypdal, Long-range persistence in global surface temperatures explained by linear multi-box energy balance models, Journal of Climate, 2017. 30: p. 7157-7168. (Link to paper)
- Theodorsen A., O. E. Garcia and M. Rypdal, Statistical properties of a filtered Poisson process with additive random noise: distributions, correlations and moment estimation, Physica Scripta, 2017, 92(5), 054002. (preprint)
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Late Quaternary temperature variability described as abrupt transitions on a 1/f noise background. Earth System Dynamics, 2016. 7: p. 281-293. (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, M., Early-Warning Signals for the onsets of Greenland Interstadials and the Younger Dryas-Preboreal transition. Journal of Climate, 2016. 29(11): p. 4047-4056. (Link to paper)
- Løvsletten, O. and M. Rypdal, Statistics of Regional Surface Temperatures after 1900: Long-Range versus Short-Range Dependence and Significance of Warming Trends, Journal of Climate, 2016. 29(11): p. 4057-4068. (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, K. and M. Rypdal, Comment on "Scaling regimes and linear/nonlinear responses of last millennium climate to volcanic and solar forcing" by S. Lovejoy and C. Varotsos. Earth System Dynamics Discussions, 2016. (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, K., M. Rypdal, and S. Holm, Detection and attribution: how is the solar signal identified and distinguished from the response to other forcings?, in Earth's climate response to a changing Sun. 2015, EDP Sciences. p. 345.
- Rypdal, K., M. Rypdal, and H.-B. Fredriksen, Spatiotemporal long-range persistence in earth's temperature field: Analysis of stochastic-diffusive energy balance models. Journal of Climate, 2015. 28(21): p. 8379-8395. (Link to paper)
- Rypdal, K. and M. Rypdal, Modeled impact of total solar irradiance (TSI) forcing, in Earth's climate response to a changing Sun. 2015, EDP Sciences. p. 345.
- Østvand, L., K. Rypdal, and M. Rypdal, Statistical significance of rising and oscillatory trends in global ocean and land temperature in the past 160 years. Earth System Dynamics Discussions, 2014. 5: p. 327-362. (Link to discussion)
- Østvand, L., T. Nilsen, K. Rypdal, D. Divine, V., and M. Rypdal, Long-range memory in internal and forced dynamics of millennium-long climate model simulations. Earth System Dynamics, 2014. 5(2): p. 295-308.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Long-memory effects in linear response models of Earth's temperature and implications for future global warming. Journal of Climate, 2014. 27(14): p. 5240-5258.
- Rypdal, M., E. Sirnes, O. Løvsletten, and K. Rypdal, Assessing market uncertainty by means of a time-varying intermittency parameter for asset price fluctuations. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 2013: p. 8.
- Rypdal, M. and O. Løvsletten, Modeling electricity spot prices using mean-reverting multifractal processes. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 2013. 392(1): p. 194-207.
- Rypdal, K., L. Østvand, and M. Rypdal, Long-range memory in Earth's surface temperature on time scales from months to centuries. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, 2013. 118(13): p. 7046-7062.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Is there long-range memory in solar activity on timescales shorter than the sunspot period? Journal of Geophysical Research - Space Physics, 2012. 117: p. 11.
- Rypdal, K. and M. Rypdal, Stochastic properties of solar activity proxies. Astrophysics and Space Science Proceedings, 2012. 33: p. 227-232.
- Løvsletten, O. and M. Rypdal, Approximated maximum likelihood estimation in multifractal random walks. Physical Review E. Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, 2012. 85(4): p. 8.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Discerning a linkage between solar wind turbulence and ionospheric dissipation by a method of confined multifractal motions. Journal of Geophysical Research - Space Physics, 2011. 226: p. A02202.
- Rypdal, K., B. Klumov, B. Kozelov, R. Kube, and M. Rypdal, Exploring the Analogy Between Freezing of a 2D Yukawa Liquid and 2D Decaying Turbulence in Fluids. AIP Conference Proceedings, 2011. 1397(1): p. 72-77.
- Hall, C., K. Rypdal, and M. Rypdal, The E region at 69 degrees N, 19 degrees E: Trends, significances, and detectability. Journal of Geophysical Research - Space Physics, 2011. 116: p. A05309.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Testing Hypotheses about Sun-Climate Complexity Linking. Physical Review Letters, 2010. 104(12): p. 4.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Stochastic modeling of the AE index and its relation to fluctuations in B-z of the IMF on time scales shorter than substorm duration. Journal of Geophysical Research - Space Physics, 2010. 115: p. 15.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Rypdal and Rypdal reply. A Reply to the Comment by Nicola Scafetta and Bruce J. West. Physical Review Letters, 2010. 105(21): p. 219802.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, A stochastic theory for temporal fluctuations in self-organized critical systems. New Journal of Physics, 2008. 10: p. 123010/1-11.
- Rypdal, K., B.V. Kozelov, S. Ratynskaia, B. Klumov, C. Knapek, and M. Rypdal, Scale-free vortex cascade emerging from random forcing in a strongly coupled system. New Journal of Physics, 2008. 10: p. 093018.
- Rypdal, K., M. Rypdal, T. Zivkovic, and B.V. Kozelov, Complexity in astro and geospace systems: the turbulence versus SOC controversy. AIP Conference Proceedings, 2007. 932: p. 203-208.
- Kruglikov, B.S. and M. Rypdal, Entropy via multiplicity. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, 2006. 16: p. 395-410.
- Kruglikov, B.S. and M. Rypdal, Dynamics and entropy in the Zhang model of self-organized criticality. Journal of statistical physics, 2006. 122.
- Kruglikov, B.S. and M. Rypdal, A piece-wise affine contracting map with positive entropy. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems, 2006. 16: p. 393-394.
- Rypdal, M. and K. Rypdal, Modelling temporal fluctuations in avalanching systems. Physical Review E, 2008. 78, 051127.
Forskningsparken 1 B426