FYS-2017 Sustainable energy - 10 ECTS
Admission requirementsAdmission requirements are generell studiekompetanse + SIVING. Local admission, application code 9391 - singular courses in engineering sciences. The course is also available to exchange students and free-movers.
Course contentThe course focuses on the physical understanding of the concept of energy and how energy production and consumption influence the environment. Different forms of sustainable energy will be outlined which includes hydro, tidal, wave and wind power, solar energy, bioenergy, nuclear fission and nuclear fusion. These resources will be compared with the fossil energy resources: natural gas, oil and coal. The course will aswell discuss different solutions for energy storage and transport.
Objectives of the course
Knowledge - The student wcan
- describe different energy resources, transformations and consumption
- explain sustainable energy sources and their potential
- identify different types of scientific communication
Skills - The student can
- analyze steam engines in terms of thermodynamics and electricity production
- derive the main equations describing the energy in the following sustainable sources: thermal, geothermal, tidal, wave, wind, solar, biomass and nuclear energy
- calculate the energy production from different power plants
General expertise - The student can
- locate relevant information from different sources
- work together, solve problems and discuss findings in groups
- express a good oral communication skill in class
- express a good communication skill in scientific writing
Information to incoming exchange students
This course is open for inbound exchange students.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
- Up to 3 mandatory assignments
Access to the final examination requires completing/submitting and passing the coursework requirements.
- A 4 hours written examination, counting 100%
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F. A is the highest grade and F is failed.
A re-sit examination will be arranged for this course.
See chapter 5 in in Regulations for stuies and examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway for more information.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2017
- Responsible unit
- Department of Physics and Technology
- Contact persons
Olukan, Tuza AdeyemiPostdoctoral Research Fellow / Renewable energy
Boström, Tobias KristofferProfessor / Renewable energy
- Earlier years and semesters for this topic