autumn 2023
ELE-3604 Distributed Generation and Micro Grids: Concepts and Roles - 5 ECTS

Type of course

Theoretical subject. Can be taken as a single subject. The course is reserved for students belonging to Master’s in Electrical Engineering.

5 credit points.

Admission requirements

A relevant undergraduate Bachelor degree in Engineering program in power electronics and electrical machines. Basic knowledge in power systems is also an advantage.

In addition, the following requirements must be met:

- minimum 25 credits in mathematics (equivalent to Mathematical Methods 1, 2 og 3), 5 credits in statistics and 7,5 ects i physics on a higher level is required.

Application code: 9371

Course overlap

If you pass the examination in this course, you will get an reduction in credits (as stated below), if you previously have passed the following courses:

ELE-3507 Distributed Generation and Micro Grids: Concepts and Roles 5 ects

Course content

The student will choose one of the presented projects. Relevant topics includes Distributed Generation and Micro grid related areas. All project proposals will include both a theoretical and a practical part.

Recommended prerequisites

ELE-3500 Power System Fundamentals, ELE-3503 Power System Stability, ELE-3607 Power Electronics

Objectives of the course

After completing the subject, the candidate will have the following learning outcomes:


After having followed the course, the candidate shall have obtained insight in:

  • The candidate will have knowledge about the working principle of the chosen project topic
  • The candidate will be able to explain the relevant theory for the chosen project
  • The candidate will know how to write a project report according to the IEEE standard


  • The candidate will be able to derive a mathematical model of the project case
  • The candidate will be able to implement a simulation model of the project case
  • The candidate will be able to build real time simulations and also an experimental prototype setup for laboratory tests.

General competence:

  • The candidate will be able to see general electrical engineering theory in a practical perspective
  • The candidate will have a basic knowledge of scientific working methods

Language of instruction and examination


Teaching methods

Lectures + Supervisions+ Projects

Information to incoming exchange students

This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements. Please see the Admission requirements" section".

Master Level

Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty:

Error rendering component

More info about the assignment

Project Report Assessment will be done as follows:

  • Project Report Writing 30%,
  • Project Work Quality 30 % .

More info about the oral exam

Assessment will be done as follows:

Oral Examination:

Oral presentation 15 %, Questions and answers in the examination 25% (Total 40%).

  • About the course
  • Campus: Narvik |
  • ECTS: 5
  • Course code: ELE-3604
  • Earlier years and semesters for this topic