BIO-3512 Early life of marine fish - 10 ECTS
Local admission, application code 9371 - Master`s level singular course.
Admission requires a Bachelor`s degree (180 ECTS) or equivalent qualification, with a major in biology of minimum 80 ECTS. A Bachelor's degree in Fiskeri- og havbruksvitenskap with relevant courses in the 6. semester is regarded as an equivalent qualification.
A candidate who has completed his or her qualification should have the following learning outcomes defined in terms of knowledge, skills and general competence:
- Key stages in embryo- and larval development of marine fish
- Different embryo- and larval developmental patterns between fish species
- Different stages in male and female gonad development
- Principles of, and the main endocrine factors regulating male and female gonad development
- Know how environmental factors such as temperature and photoperiod influence reproductive development, egg quality, embryonic- and larval development
- How to read, discuss and present scientific data
Skills: The candidate should be able to:
- Evaluate and discuss influences of environmental changes of, for example, temperature and prey abundance, on egg and larval survival under aquaculture and natural conditions
- Propose and discuss key stages of reproductive, embryonic and larval development which are sensitive/robust to environmental influences under aquaculture and natural conditions.
- Explain and discuss causes of variable egg- and larval survival and growth in nature and culture
- Undertake egg/larval sampling and identify the sampled species
- Write a scientific essay based on broad knowledge of relevant literature
- Understand the biology and functionality of early life history stages of fish
- Demonstrate broad insight in reproductive strategies and gonad development of marine fish
- At a scientific level, be able communicate knowledge and discuss influences of environmental factors on embryonic and larval development under aquaculture and natural conditions
- Independently be able to give advice about how important environmental factors will influence gonad development, embryonic development and larval survival in fish under aquaculture and natural conditions
- On a general level be able to evaluate, extract and present information about early development in marine fish
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course has academic prerequisites. Please see the «Admission requirements» section for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
|03.06.2024 14:00 (Hand in)
|A–E, fail F
|A–E, fail F
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Approved – not approved
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BIO-3512
- Responsible unit
- The Norwegian College of Fishery Science
- Earlier years and semesters for this topic