Sundset, Monica Alterskjær
Professor in animal physiology
Deputy leader at Dept of Arctic and Marine Biology
The 50 latest publications is shown on this page. See all publications in Cristin here →
- SECURE - Novel Marine Resources for Food Security and Food Safety (Stategic funding by UiT - The Arctic University of Norway)
- Physiological adaptations for ultra-endurance in long-distance sled dogs
- Collaboration on internship in higher education (DIKU)
- Developing Feedback Literacy for Learning in Biology (Utviklingsmidler tildelt av Strategisk Utdanningsutvalg, UiT - The Arctic University of Norway)
- The Learning Academy at Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics, UiT - The Arctic University of Norway
- European University Alliance for Global Health (EUGLOH)- Member of the Project Team (EU funding from 2022)
- SLUSEN - innovation and research project on leadership in education, learning and education during change, funded by the Norwegian Research Council 2017-2022 (Result, UiT)
- Hedvig Elisabeth Mjøen (2022-2026), The Arctic University Museum of Norway, AMB, BFE. Genomic basis of eco-evolutionary responses to chaning environments in Arctic plant-herbivoee systems. Supervisors: Galina Gusarova, Monica A Sundset, Inger G Alsos, Gabriela Wagner.
- Jayalal K. Jayanthan (2021-2025), NFH. The effect of Novel Marine Foods on the Gut Microbiome and its role in atherosclerosis. Supervisors: MA Sundset, Karl-Erik Eilertsen, Kim Præbel.
- Hanne Bjerknes (2021-2025), NFH. Effects of novel low-trophic arctic marine raw materials on the development of atherosclerosis. Supervisors: Karl- Erik Eilertsen, Maria Johannessen Walquist, MA Sundset, Edel Elvevoll.
- PhD Melanie Furrer (completed Nov 2022), University of Zürich, Switzerland (Neuroscience program). Circadian and homeostatic aspects of sleep regulation: From naturalistic models to clinical settings. Supervisors: Reto Huber, Gabriela Wagner, Steven Brown, Monica A Sundset.
- PhD Alejandro Salgado-Flores (completed 2017) Gut metagenomics in relation to diet and methanogenesis in Arctic herbivores, ISBN 978-82-8266-140-9. UiT. Supervisors: Monica A Sundset, Phillip B Pope (Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Oslo), Andre-Denis G Wright (The University of Arizona, USA).
- PhD Kirsti E Præsteng (completed 2012) Genetic identification and ruminal dosing of cellulolytic bacteria to reindeer in search of a future probiotic, ISBN 978-82-8266-040-2. UiT. Supervisors: Monica A Sundset, Svein D Mathiesen, Isaac KO Cann (University of Illinois, USA), Roderick I Mackie (University of Illinois, USA).
- PhD Trine Glad (completed 2010) Antimicrobial resistance and bacterial diversity in Arctic Environments, ISBN 978-82-7589-313-8. UiT. Supervisors: Monica A Sundset, Kaare M Nielsen.
- PhD Pål Vegar Storeheier (completed 2003) Food intake and forage utilization in reindeer during winter, ISBN 82-7589-139-6. UiT. Supervisors: Monica A Sundset, Svein D Mathiesen.
MSc Thesis Advisor
- Nora Qi Badkår Norli (2022-2023, 40 stp). Flervalgsoppgaver som verktøy for læring og utvikling av tilbakemeldingskomptanse i fysiologiundervisning på bachelor nivå. Veiledere: MA Sundset, Camilla Svensen, Cato Bjørndal.
- Silje Hælen-Helgesson (2022-2023, 60 stp). Physiological adaptations for ultra-endurance in long-distance sled dogs project. Supervisors: MA Sundset, Chiara Ciccone, Ingebjørg Helena Nymo, Shona Wood, Lars Folkow.
- MSc Irina Alexopoulou (2019-2020, 60 stp). Regulation of urokinase receptor (uPAR) cleavage by cancer associated fibroblasts (CAFs) in oral cancer. Veiledere: Synnøve Magnussen (IMB), MA Sundset.
- MSc Pernille Meyer (2019) Validation of DNA metabarcoding as a tool for diet analysis in reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus L.) Supervisors: Galina Gusarova, Stefaniya Kamenova, Anne K. Brysting, Monica A. Sundset, Lars Folkow). Pernille was a MSc student at the Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis, Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo - doing parts of her project with us in Tromsø.
- MSc Marte Nilsen (2013) Ernæringsbasert metanproduksjon hos sau (Methane emissions from sheep).
- MSc Kia Krarup Hansen (2012) Methane emissions from reindeer. Do reindeer fed lichens emit less methane than reindeer on a pelleted feed diet?
- MSc Anders J Hamnes (2007) Evaluering av lokalprodusert gresspellet som fôr til rein og effekt av melassetilsetning.
- MSc Vibeke F Kristiansen (2007) Ampicillin resistance and bacterial diversity in colon content from grey seals (Halichoerus grypus) and harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) at the coast of northern Norway.
- MSc Pål Bernhardsen (2007) Bacterial diversity and ampicillin resistance in faecal content from polar bears (Ursus maritimus).
German Diploma Thesis Advisor
- Alexandra Kohn (2008) Antibiotic usnic acid in lichens. Review and screening for usnic acid-resistant rumen bacterial strains from reindeer. Visiting Scholar.
Veterinary Medicine Thesis Advisor
- Larsen AK & Marhaug T (2004) Digestion in polar bear - An anatomical study of the digestive system in Polar bear related to its ability to adapt to future climatic changes in the Arctic.
I teach in the following courses at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway:
- Bio-2002 Dyrefysiologi (animal physiology) (course instructor) - 10 ECTS
- BIO-3030 EXTREME ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY - 20 ECTS (since 2022)
- Bio-3008 Animal Physiology (-2022)
- BIO-2018 Genetikk, molekylærbiologi og bioinformatikk - 10 ECTS (since 2022)
- UNIPED-600 Kurs i forskningsveiledning (innlegg og paneldebatt, Okt 2022) (RESULT, UiT)
- UPED-691 Becoming a (PhD/masters) supervisor, universtity pedagogy course at University of Bergen (panel on supervision, Nov 2022)
- Bio-1105 Innføring i Biologi (course instructor) (2019)
- Bio-1006 Dyre- og Plantefysiologi
- Bio-2310 Arctic Biology
- Kompetanseutviklingsprogram for studieprogramledere ved UiT (Nov 2021)Kurs - Vurdering av utdanningsfaglig kompetanse (Result) (2020)
- UNIPED-100-1 19H Basismodul i pedagogisk kompetanse (Result) (2020)
- BFE Pedagogisk Seminar - Utvikling Pedagogisk Mapper (2020)
- Cand mag (1990) in Biology, UiT
- Cand Scient (MSc) in Zoophysiology (1992), UiT
- Dr philos (PhD) in Zoophysiology (2000), UiT
- University Seminar in Pedagogics UiT (2003-2004)
- The Dean School of The Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions (UHR Dekanskolen, 2012-2013)
- Course on peer review of teaching portfolios UiT (2017-2018)
- Merited Teacher AMB/BFE/UiT (since 2019)
- UNIPED-600 Course in research supervision, Result, UiT (2021-2022)
- Associate professor in zoophysiology at Institute of Medical Biology, UiT (1997-2001)
- Post-doc UiT (appointed by the university board) (2001-2004)
- Visiting Scientist Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA (2001-2002)
- Professor in Animal Physiology AMB/BFE/UiT (since 2004)
- Vice Dean of Education BFE/UiT (Nov 2010 – July 2018)
- Acting Dean BFE/UiT (4 months: 2015, 2016)
- Deputy Leader for Teaching AMB/UiT (Since Aug 2019)
- The International Centre for Reindeer Husbandry (board member 2006-2010, 2010-2014)
- Appointed expert (leader of the committe) by NOKUT(2010) Application for accreditation of a PhD program in Ecology (in Norwegian). Høgskolen i Telemark. Report from the Expert Committee. NOKUT reports. ISSN [1501-9640].
- Committee on Learning Environment (LMU) (member 2011-2013)
- The Strategic Committee on Education (SUV) at UiT (2013-2018)
- Evaluating the study programs at UiT Part 1: Bachelor and 5-year master programs (2016). Report in Norwegian from SUV 20.10.16.
- Evaluating the study programs at UiT Part 2: Workbases and and 2-year Master degree programs (2016-2017). Report in Norwegian from SUV 24.04.17.
- Focus group on innovation and entrepreneurship in education at UiT (member 2016-2017). Report in Norwegian.
- Committee on collaboration on education between society / worklife and UiT (member 2018-2019). Report in Norwegian.
- Program Committee for the T&L conference ”MNT-Conference 2019” (member 2017-2019)
- Board for BS/MS programs in Biotechnology and Aqua Medicine, The Norwegian College of Fishery Science, UiT (2018-2021)
- Leader of the Programboard for the BSc and the MSc in Biology at UiT - The Arctic University of Norway (2019-2021)
- Member Programboard for University Pedagogics (since 2019)
- Editor, Special issue on Wildlife Microbiology 1.0 in Microorganisms (MDPI open access journals) (2018-2019)
- Editor, Special issue on Wildlife Microbiology 2.0 in Microorganisms (2020-2021)
- Expert appointed by NOKUT (the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education under the Ministery of Education and Research) for supervision of the systematic quality work at the Norwegian Business School (2021)
- Expert comittee member / peer reviewer of applications to the Program on Flexible Educations funded by DIKU - The Norwegian Agency for International Cooperation and Quality Enhancement in Higher Education (2021)