Tamer Abu-Alam is an Assistant Prof. of Sustainability Analytics at the Department of Arctic and Marine Biology. He teaches courses related to the application of big data in the field of sustainability. Abu-Alam coordinates the CloudEARTHi and Inspiring the Minds projects (projects funded by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology, Erasmus+ & Direktoratet for høgare utdanning og kompetanse). In addition, he contributes to other research projects such as CoastShift and A-AAgora.
The 50 latest publications is shown on this page. See all publications in Cristin here →
Abu-Alam's research interest is in using big data for sustainability analytics, footprint analysis, and increasing the innovation capacity of academic institutions. Moreover, Abu-Alam has a long career as an Earth Scientist.
461 hours of pedagogical education/training designed to provide teaching competence at universities and colleges. 22 years of teaching and supervision experience (2000-2022). Co-supervised 4 PhD & 6 MSc students.
Teaching and supervision
- BIO-3021 Sustainability Science
- BIO-3805 Big data and Artificial intelligence for environmental, ecological and biological science: an introduction
- 2021- present: Teach courses and training programs related to sustainability and entrepreneurship in the context of CloudEARTHi project
- 2020-present: Co-supervised the 3 MSc projects and a PhD project
- 2020-2021: Petrology course (GEO2004) at UiT
- 2017-2021: Co-supervised the PhD project of H. Gamal El Dien (Mantle dynamic and geochemistry)
- 2019: MSc thesis writing course as two condensed courses at UiT
- September 2017: Petrology course at the honors-level students at the Rhodes University, South Africa
- 2012-2015: Co-supervised PhD programs of M. Hassan (geochemistry and geochronology of granitic rocks), S. Meyer (structural geology), S. Turab (low-temperature geochronology and active tectonics) and A. Oswald (computational modelling and active tectonics)
- 2011-2014: Advanced Petrology course (GEO 650.810) at Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria
- 2011-2015: Co-supervised the MSc projects of H. Gamal El Dien (petrology and geochemistry of ophiolites), M. Sherif (petrology and geochemistry of granitic rocks), S. Reda (petrology and geochemistry of granitic rocks) and G. Hanke (low-temperature geochronology and active tectonics)
- 2009-2013: Assist in teaching courses e.g. introductory geology, structural geology at Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria
- 2001-2006: Igneous petrology course at Tanta University, Egypt
- 2001-2006: Geochemistry course at Tanta University, Egypt
- 2001-2006: Crystallography course at Tanta University, Egypt
- 2001-2006: Geological mapping and structural geology courses at Tanta University, Egypt
- 2001-2006: Co-supervised several students’ fieldtrips to the Eastern and Western Desert of Egypt.
Member of research group
Member of project
- 2010: Doctorate of Science (Dr.rer.nat.) - Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria.
- 2005: Master of Science (M.Sc.) - Tanta University, Egypt.
- 2000: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) - Tanta University, Egypt. Class of pass: Very Good with the first-class Honor.
Completed education or courses (411 hours) designed to provide teaching competence for teaching at universities and colleges:
- 2022 - Pedagogsk basiskompetanse for høyere utdanning (200 hours - RESULT, UiT).
- 2020 - Teaching and Learning in Higher Education for PhD Fellows (200 hours - RESULT, UiT)
- 2017 - “Pedagogical strategies for development of critical thinking” pedagogical course (online course)
- 2010 - “Student assessment and evaluation” pedagogical course (Tanta University, Egypt)
- 2010 - “Strategic planning” pedagogical course (Tanta University, Egypt)
- 2010 - “Scientific publishing” pedagogical course (Tanta University, Egypt)
- 2010 - “Conference organization” pedagogical course (Tanta University, Egypt)
- 2006 - “Scientific research methods” pedagogical course (Tanta University, Egypt)
- 2005 - “Effective communication” pedagogical course (Tanta University, Egypt)
- September 2021 – Present: University lecturer, Department of Arctic and Marine Biology, UiT The Arctic University of Norway.
- September 2018 – September 2021: Project manager at the UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway.
- January 2014 – August 2018: Researcher (Post-Doc) at the Norwegian Polar Institute, Norway.
- January 2012 – January 2014: Researcher (Post-Doc) at Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria.
- January 2011 – January 2012: Researcher (Post-Doc) at Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria.
- October 2010 – January 2011: Full-time assistant professor at Tanta University, Egypt.
- November 2006 – October 2010: PhD student at Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz, Austria.
- October 2000 – October 2006: Full-time assistant lecturer of Geology at Tanta University, Egypt.
- Big data
- Sustainability Analytics
- Footprint Analytics
- Green shift and blue growth scenarios
- Computer programming
- Exhumation mechanisms of high-grade metamorphic rocks
- Tectonic evolution of supercontinents (Rodinia and Gondwana)
Thirty nine papers in peer-reviewed international journals (638 citations – h-index 15)
Research Grants, Fellowships, Awards and Honors
- 2022-2025: Inspiring the Minds project funded by EU - Eramus+ (400,000.- Euros project# 2022-1-NO01-KA220-HED-000087789)
- 2021-2023: CloudEARTHi project funded by EU - European Institute of Innovation and Technology (1.2 Million Euro project# 10037 – HEI initiative)
- 2019-2021: Open Polar project, UiT – the Arctic University of Norway – Project number: 550134 (ca. 2.5 Million Norwegian Kroner)
- 2014-2018: “Geological map compilation of Dronning Maud Land” – Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Norway (Oslo, Norway) – Grant: 14330-299
- 2010-2014: “Exhumation processes of the Najd Fault System” (Austrian Science Fund Standalone grant (300.000,- Euro) – Grant: P22351
- 2011–2012: “Economic geology of the Arabian-Nubian Shield” (Star Petroleum/SPmining, Madrid, Spain (~ 300.000,- Euro)).
- 2010: Marie Curie Fellow – summer school (5000 Euro)
- 2007: Heinrich Jörg Stiftung grant – grant to support fieldwork (5000 Euro)
- 2006–2010: “Metamorphic Evolution of the Wadi Feiran Migmatites, Sinai, Egypt” Austrian Exchange Service (ÖAD) grant
- 2000: The first-class Honor – Tanta University, Egypt
- 1999: Best bachelor student – Tanta University, Egypt
Selected activities and contributions to the scientific community
- Since 2021: section editor for the Lithosphere journal
- 2019-2020: associate editor for the Lithosphere journal
- 2015-2019: Member of the editorial board of the Lithosphere journal
- Edited a special issue on “Gondwana Collision” in Mineralogy and Petrology
- Edited a special issue on “Precambrian crustal evolution in relation to geodynamics and supercontinents” in Lithos