I am an international lawyer from Ukraine, specialised in human rights law, international criminal law and settlement of international disputes. I hold an LLM degree in international law from University of Cambridge and a PhD degree in law from University College London. I have previously worked as a lawyer at the European Court of Human Rights and Council of Europe, and as a Visting Legal Professional at the International Criminal Court.
I joined UiT The Arctic University of Norway in May 2022 as a postdoctoral fellow on the FAKENEWS project. This inter-disciplinary project funded by the Norwegian Research Council explores impact of disinformation on societal trust and resilience. Its objective is to identify the ability of society members to resist disinformation as well as the ways in which people are influenced by it. The project also aims to develop a framework that would allow to better predict the impact of disinformation within society.
My role within the project is to explore human rights law related to use and restriction of disinformation, in particular regulation under human rights law of governmental emergency powers that may impact such rights as freedom of expression.
The 50 latest publications is shown on this page. See all publications in Cristin here →
My research focuses on public international law. Most recently, I have written on the principle of ne bis in idem in international criminal law, right to fair trial, non-state courts, rules related to jurisdiction of and admissibility of cases before international courts and tribunals.
- University College London, PhD (2015-2020), PhD thesis: ‘Ne bis in idem in the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court’
- University of Cambridge, LLM (First Class) (2013-2014), Master thesis: ‘Decision on reparations in the Lubanga case from the perspective of human rights principle of presumption of innocence’
- Kyiv International University, Bachelor and Master Degree in International Law (Distinction) (2002-2007)
- UiT – The Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø (2022-present)
- National University Kyiv Mohyla Academy, Senior Lecturer (2020 - 2022), Associate Professor (2022-present)
- International Criminal Court, Chambers, Visiting Professional (2019)
- Teaching Fellow at University College London Faculty of Laws (2016-2017)
- International Advisory Panel on Ukraine, Council of Europe, Lawyer (2014-2015)
- Cambridge Pro Bono Project, Researcher (2013-2014)
- Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society in Kyiv, Lawyer (2012-2013)
- European Court of Human Rights, Junior Lawyer (2008-2012)
- Konov & Sozanovskyy Law Firm, Junior Associate (2007-2008)
- Member of Advisory Group Reforms for reintegration, Ukraine Reform Conference 2022 (URC 2022)
- Advisory Board Member, International Human Rights module (ECHR), Oxford Reports on International Law