For exchange students: how to apply
Welcome to UiT The Arctic University of Norway!
We cannot wait to welcome exchange students in our various cities throughout Northern Norway: Tromsø, Alta, Narvik and Harstad. The following information explains the next steps in the process of nominating students for exchange or becoming a member of our learning and social community at UiT The Arctic University of Norway.
Exchange studies and Placements/Internships (ERASMUS +) at UiT
The International Office at UiT handles applications for exchange students in collaboration with our various faculties at our various campuses. We accept students through the following exchange programmes, agreements and networks:
- Erasmus +
- Fellowship Programme for Studies in the High North
- Bilateral agreements
- EEA/Norway Grants
- Russian-Norwegian partnership programme (RUSSUT)
Contact the exchange coordinator at your home university for information about how to be nominated as an exchange student to UiT.
Important Notice: exchange students must be physically onsite and actively participate in courses. Application for online courses does not entitle the student for exchange status.
Erasmus+ Placements/Internship: you must apply within the same deadline as regular exchange students.
Who can apply as an exchange student?
Nomination by your home university is required to be able to apply for all students coming to UiT through exchange agreements, networks and programmes.
Exchange students are students from academic institutions with which UiT The Arctic University of Norway have formal exchange agreements. The students are selected and nominated by their home universities for a period of 3-12 months of study at UiT.
NB! If an exchange agreement does not exist between your home university and UiT, you cannot apply for admission as an exchange student at UiT. If this category does not apply to you, please consider other categories for applying.
Courses taught in English
Formal admission requirements
Exchange students are expected to:
- Apply through your international mobility coordinator at your home university
- Have completed at least one year of university studies
- Have a good command of English, B1
For exchange students with scholarships: your proof of financial/subsistence ability is already covered by your scholarships and mentioned in the Letter of Admission.
Required forms for exchange
- After you have been nominated by your home university as an exchange student to UiT The Arctic University of Norway, you must:
- Log into the Application Web (Søknadsweb) to upload the required forms and documents:
Upload the required documents by clicking on "My documents":
APPLICATION DEADLINES1 OCT (Spring intake)
15 APR (Autumn intake)
- Please click "For students: how to apply" for guidelines
How to apply: step by step
1: Firstly, you must be nominated by your exchange coordinator (outgoing mobility) at your home university to access our online Application Web (Søknadsweb).
2: Once nominated, you will receive an e-mail from UiT The Arctic University of Norway with instructions (sent to the e-mail address that your coordinator used for the nomination).
3: Log in: Use the link in the e-mail you have received from UiT The Arctic University of Norway to go to the online Application Web. Select English language in the top menu, choose "International Applicant", and log in with your e-mail address and password.
A password for SøknadsWeb will be sent in a separate e-mail. To request a new password, please click on "Send me a new password".
4: Contact information: On this page you must enter your correct postal address in your home country. Please ensure you enter both postal code/zip code and city. Click on "OK - save" to continue. You will then be directed to the application page.
5: My Documents: On the application page you will see the details of your nomination. For desktop computer users, the botton "My Documents" is at the top of the webpage. For tablet and mobile users, the botton "My Documents" is under the menu sign at the top left-hand side of the webpage.
Please note: Do NOT use the link "New application" to apply, as this is aimed at other student categories.
- 6: My Application: Here you can check the status and receipt of your nomination/application.
7: Upload the required documents by clicking on "My documents":
PLEASE NOTE: All supporting documents must be uploaded by the stipulated deadline. All documents must be in English, Swedish or Danish. Any incomplete applications or applications containing documents in other languages will not be considered.
Please read the Standard Documentary Requirements.
Your application status: You can keep track of each of your documents by logging into the Application Web.
Admission process for incoming exchange students at UiT
- The International Office will check whether your application for exchange is complete, in conformity with the General Admission Requirements and linked to a valid exchange agreement within your field of study between UiT and your home university.
- Your application will then be submitted for processing to the faculty at which you wish to study. The faculties base their decisions regarding admission on the applicant's academic performance and his/her fully completed application form and learning agreement.
- If you have been accepted as an exchange student to UiT, the International Office will send you an information package including your "Letter of Admission" via e-mail.
- Non-EU/EEA students will receive a "Letter for Housing Guarantee" in their information package so they can attach it to their application for a student visa (Study Permit).
Thank you for choosing UiT as your destination for exchange studies!
Last changed: 08.11.2017 14.16
- 1 OCT (Spring intake)
- 15 APR (Autumn intake)