BIO-2203 Bachelor's Thesis in Biology - 20 stp
The course requires basic knowledge in biology and ecology at university level. Basic knowledge in chemistry and mathematics is an advantage.
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
The purpose of the thesis is that the student should learn how to:
- apply the knowledge gained from the study
- define a research topic
- examine literature and scientific information research within a certain biological discipline
- collect and examine relevant information
- choose analysis method
- create a readable presentation. The structure of the thesis is practically the same as an article in a scientific journal, which is; Table of contents, Abstract, Introduction, (Methods), Discussion, Conclusions, (Appendices) and References.
Deadlines for handing in the bachelor`s assignment: June 1 (spring semester) and December 15. (autumn semester). Grades: A-F, F is failed.
The assignment should be:
- approx. minimum 30 pages including figures and tables when writing a literature review.
- approx. minimum 30 pages including figures and tables when the thesis is a practical/experimental work.
Re-submission of the thesis: Only if a bachelor's thesis project is graded "F" (fail), may the thesis be resubmitted in revised form. A new deadline for submission will be given. The deadline for resubmitting the thesis is normally 3 months from the point in time when the candidate was informed about the exam result.
The student are responsible to find litterature relevant for the thesis. The student will also get guidance from the supervisor finding relevant litterature.
Lectures Autumn 2018
Students who wants to write a bachelor thesis can contact studentadvisers at Dep. of Arctic and Marine Biology; Siv Andreassen or Renathe Lohne.