BIO-8017 Biological Rhythms - 10 stp
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:
PhD students at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb. The registration for autumn semester starts in the middle of June.
Other applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb. Application code 9303.
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen at the BFE-faculty if you have troubles or questions regarding registration to the course.
Knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of the general principles and central questions in Chronobiology
- Explain the ecological and behavioural importance of biological rhythms
- Demonstrate and explain the physiological, genetic and molecular basis for biological rhythms
- Demonstrate and explain examples of biological rhythms
- Understanding the process of generating scientific knowledge
- Communicating science both, orally and in writing
- Review and extract relevant information from scientific literature
- Critical analysis of published scientific literature within the discipline at MSc level
- Presenting scientific content clearly and in logical order while using language appropriate for the audience and occasion
- Proposing, discussing and evaluating hypothesis
Essay (20%), oral presentation (20%) and 3 h final written exam (60%) must be passed in order to receive a passing grade. A graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail.
Coursework requirements: lab report and presentation of article in primary literature - must be approved in order to be able to take the ordinary or re-sit written examination.
There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.
Date for examinationOral 07.12.2018
Essay hand in date 26.10.2018
The date for the exam can be changed. The final date will be announced in the StudentWeb early in May and early in November.
Lectures Autumn 2018
Schedule: Same schedule as BIO-3014.
HOW TO APPLY
PhD students enrolled at UiT register for the course through StudentWeb.
Remember to upload documentation of your education or documentation of your status as a PhD student. Applicants who can document their status as a PhD student are exempt to pay the semester fee.