SPL-3901 Master's Thesis in Nordic Urban Planning Studies - 30 ECTS
The students have the following learning outcomes:
The student has:
- Research-based knowledge in selected academic areas, and an understanding of and reflection on the position of the student’s own thesis study in the academic field.
- Identification of scientific issues and a critical approach to scientific knowledge.
- Knowledge of the academic genre and the academic target group, and an understanding of the overall communication situation of which the thesis is a part.
The student is able to / can:
- Skills in applying and mastering scientific theories and methods in work on a defined, academic and relevant issue.
- Skills in analysing, categorising, discussing, arguing, reflecting and evaluating on a scientific basis.
- Skills in critically evaluating and selecting sources, literature, theory and methods.
- Skills in discussing and participating in academic debate with representatives of the academic discourse community.
- Skills in writing in accordance with the applicable standards for academic texts, and for an academic target group.
- The competency to independently initiate, manage and complete a long-term process of academic study and writing.
- Competency to take responsibility for one’s own academic and linguistic development and specialisation.
The exam will consist of:
Combined assessment of the thesis and an individual oral examination. The oral presentation may adjust the grading of the thesis.
The thesis can be written by one or two students. If the thesis is written by one student, the length must be approximately 60 pages. If the thesis is written by two students, the length must be approx. 90 pages.
The exam will be assessed on an A-F grades scale. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 30
- Course code: SPL-3901
- Responsible unit
- Department of Social Sciences