How to apply?
Smartphones, drones, robots, self-driving cars, computer games, simulators, artificial intelligence, and virtual worlds are just a few examples that would not be possible without advanced software and computer technology. With a master's degree in Applied computer science, you can contribute to solving of sustainability challenges, health care development, education, safety, or technology in general. Studying Applied computer science will enable you to work with many exciting challenges. Computer technology forms a large part of our everyday lives, so if you want to make a difference, a Master of Applied computer science in Narvik is your study of choice.
Som Sivilingeniør i Data/IT kan du bidra til å løse mange spennende utfordringer som bærekraft og det grønne skiftet, utvikling innen helse og omsorg, utdanning, sikkerhet, eller generelt innen teknologi. Informasjons- og datateknologi utgjør en stor del av hverdagen vår og inngår i det meste av samfunnet vårt. Smarttelefoner, droner, roboter, selvkjørende biler, dataspill, simulatorer, kunstig intelligens og virtuelle verdener er bare noen eksempler som ikke ville vært mulig uten avansert programvare og datateknologi. Hvis du ønsker å utgjøre en forskjell er Sivilingeniørstudiet i Data/IT (master i Applied computer science) i Narvik noe for deg.
After completing this study, you will have the prerequisites to develop advanced computer games, virtual reality and create realistic simulations, such as collisions, rigid bodies, inverse kinematics and fluid mechanics. As a student you will benefit from the close bonds Narvik has to national and international research partners and our professional lab facilities. Throughout the studies you will build a strong and competitive fundament as a technical programmer and developer of advanced software and learning systems. The teaching activities are driven by active research groups within the fields of AI, geometric modeling and applied mathematics. This can serve as a basis for:
- Artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning and intelligent agents
- Geometric modeling, virtual reality, computer graphics and animations
- Object-oriented programming, meta- and GPU programming
- The development of large software systems, and massive multipurpose systems
After completing the diploma thesis on a selected topic, you are equipped with a comprehensive knowledge set in dealing with technical and managerial challenges, which makes you attractive to companies within many industries. Former students have generally found exciting opportunities as experts or leaders in the most technologically advanced companies or within academia.
After completion of the programme the candidate is possessing the following learning outcome.
Kunnskaper / knowledge:
- The candidate will have necessary basic knowledge as well as expertise knowledge to challenging jobs in research, industrial development and other areas. The knowledge is on a level such that the candidate can analyze problems and apply the knowledge in new areas.
- The candidate will have thorough knowledge of the different theories and methodologies of software development and especially computer programming, including advanced object oriented programming and meta-programming, based on knowledge of mathematics and technology applicable to both general-purpose programming and especially to technical applications on different platforms.
- The candidate will have special knowledge in the combined fields of geometric modelling and programming, geometry combined with artificial intelligence and programming, simulations/computations and programming, and geometry and computer graphics.
Ferdigheter / skills:
- The candidate will work independently with problems, by analyzing the problems and make plans for solving them.
- The candidate will be able to independently make large and/or complex computer programs that can run on different platforms.
- The candidate can carry out an independent research or development project within the field of computer science under supervision and in accordance with applicable norms for research ethics.
- The candidate can find, analyze and deal critically with various sources of information and use them in development and in argumentation.
- The candidate will be able to write a longer continuous report and present research clearly in written work and communicate knowledge in general orally and in writing.
Generell kompetanse / general competence:
- The candidate is influenced to maintain and develop curiosity and values such as openness, precision and the importance of separating between knowledge and opinions.
- The candidate can communicate about academic issues, analysis and conclusions in the field of computer science by using the relevant terminology to communicate with specialists and also with the general public.
- The candidate can contribute to new thinking and innovation processes in cooperation with experts from other fields.
The Master's degree in Applied Computer Science qualifies for work internationally within a range of industries and diciplines, ranging from software engineering in general to development of domain-specific special software. Some examples include:
- Software development in general
- Virtual reality and simulators
- Graphical visualization systems
- Development of domain specific software solutions, e.g: oil and gas, CAD/CAM
- Computer games industry
- Machine learning and development of artificial intelligence systems
- Academic career within research and development
- Ansatt i Forsvaret
|Term||10 ects||10 ects||10 ects|
|First semester (autumn)||
DTE-36xx Algorithms and data structures
DTE-36XX Partial differential equations
|Second semester (spring)||
DTE-3604 Applied geometry and special effects
|Third semester (autumn)||
DTE-36XX FEM theory and implementation
|Fourth semester (spring)|
A relevant undergraduate Bachelor degree in Engineering programme in computer science or equivalent. In addition, the following requirements must be met:
- minimum 25 credits in mathematics (equivalent to Mathematical Methods 1, 2 og 3), 5 credits in statistics and 7,5 ects i physics on a higher level is required. (Some of the courses in the bachelor engineering programme may have a certain amount of physics included and can be accepted*)
In most bachelor's degrees in engineering, you must expect to take some elective science subjects to qualify for the master's degree. At UiT you can take TEK-2800 Mathematics 3 (5 ects) and TEK-2801 Physics 2 (5 ects) to meet the requirement of mathematics and physics.
*) Courses at UiT with content of acceptable physics: See attachements to the Studyplan for more information.
If the bachelor's degree has been taken at another university, confirmed documentation must be attached of which courses and the number of credits in physics are included.
Applicants with a bachelor engineering degree from another field may take a qualifying one year course in Computer Science - Videreutdanning Datateknikk. (Narvik)
Applicants from outside the Nordic countries:
The application deadline for applicants outside the Nordic countries is December 1st for admission to the autumn semester.
Online application, study code 9008
Søkere fra Norge/nordiske land:
Søknadfrist er 15. april for opptak til høstsemesteret
Søking via UiTs Søknadsweb, søknadskode 4600
Opptakskrav Data/IT, sivilingeniør - master:
Bachelorgrad i ingeniørfag eller tilsvarende innen fagområdet datateknikk eller andre tilsvarende hovedfag.
Søkere med en bachelor ingeniørgrad fra et annet fagområde kan ta et kvalifiseringsår i datateknikk Videreutdanning Datateknikk. (Narvik).
I tillegg må følgende krav være oppfylt:
Det kreves minimum
- 25 studiepoeng i matematikk,tilsvarende Matematikk 1, 2 og 3
- 5 studiepoeng i statistikk
- 7,5 fag i fysikk på høyere nivå.
(Noen av kursene i bachelor ingeniørprogrammet kan ha en viss mengde fysikk inkludert som kan godkjennes.) Under fanen Studieplan finner du hvilke emner dette gjelder.Se vedlegg til studieplanen for mer informasjon.Er bachelorgraden tatt ved et annet universitet, må du laste opp bekreftet dokumentasjon over hvilke emner som har innhold av fysikk samt omfang (studiepoeng).
I de fleste bachelorgrader i ingeniørfag må du forvente å ta noen valgfag for å kvalifisere for mastergraden. På UiT i Narvik kan du ta TEK-2800 Matematikk 3 (5 sp) og TEK-2801 Fysikk 2 (5 sp) for å oppfylle kravet til matematikk og fysikk.
In Week 33 a two-days refresher course in linear algebra is offered. In this course, central concepts and methods from previous linear algebra courses will be repeated. Experiences from previous years are that students who participate in this refresher course benefit greatly from this in SMN6190 Linear Algebra II.
All teaching on this program takes place in English.
The study program is structured with concentrated courses where students work on one subject at a time. This provides for a uniform workload throughout the program. The program is R&D-based, and the professors are often using their own research results in lecturing. Most courses are based on traditional lectures, theoretical exercises, laboratory exercises, excursions, and self-studies. Exercises can be either voluntary or mandatory and performed individually or in teams.
Mandatory project works are also often used in connection to the different subjects. The projects are normally executed by student teams. The teams are preparing project reports that are presented to the professors, examiners and sometimes also to the fellow students. The projects may be based on laboratory experiments, business cases or similar. Some subjects are entirely based on a project supervised by the actual professor.
The final thesis is characterized by a topic of scientific nature and can be performed in close cooperation with a relevant industry partner and/or based on an existing R&D-project. The work is divided into two phases where the first phase normally consists of a literature study in order to provide the students with a stronger theoretical basis to execute phase two. Phase two is the main part of the thesis and is a dedicated R&D task where the students will gain in-depth knowledge of the chosen topic. The result of the work is to be presented in the form of a scientific report in order to document all work that is performed in connection with the thesis. The work is normally performed individually, but in special cases by a group of two or three students. There will be milestone status meetings and presentations during the working period, and the final results are presented to faculty staff and fellow students.
Form of assessment
Throughout the program, various forms of evaluation methods are used in connection to the different subjects. In most cases individual written examinations are used as the main form of subject grading. In addition, mandatory projects (individually or in groups) are used in order to set the final grade.
Some subject evaluations are based on a portfolio of performed assignments, while others are based on project works in which the grades are determined based on written reports, sometimes followed by oral presentations.
The grading of the final master thesis is based only on the written report with relevant attachments.
Further information about the evaluation method of each subject is defined in the respective course description, but the grading is normally based on the ECTS system with grades A, B, C, D, E and F, where F is "not passed".
Mandatory safety training in health, security and environment (HSE)
All students must complete mandatory safety training before they are allowed access and given permission to work in laboratories, workshops and the like. This also goes for participation in fieldwork/research cruises and similar. Please contact your immediate supervisor for list of mandatory courses.
The language of the study program is English. This will apply to teaching, syllabus material and examinations. There is also support for Norwegian language.
UIT Campus Narvik has a ph.d. education within the field of Engineering Science and Technology. Students may be qualified for admission to this PhD programme click here to see these.
After successful completion of the degree programme, depending on satisfactory grades in the Master's and Bachelor's degree.
Har du spørsmål om studiet?
Send mail til firstname.lastname@example.org
15. april er søknadsfristen for søkere med norsk/nordisk utdanningsbakgrunn - søknadskode 4600
Til dette programmet ønskes både norske- og engelskspråklige studenter.
Språk: Forelesningene gis på engelsk. Til eksamen er det mulig å søke om å få oppgavesett og/eller besvare eksamen på et annet språk.
Spørsmål om opptak kan sendes til: email@example.com
Become a Computer Scientist?
Watch this video from code.org:
The candidate will be awarded the right to use the Norwegian professional title sivilingeniør. This right is legally protected in Norway.
Du har rett til å bruke den beskyttede tittelen sivilingeniør etter endt studium. Det vil fremgå av vitnemålet.