Marbio – an analytical platform for natural products
- Experience in screening complex mixtures (i.e. natural product extracts and fractions) for biological activity in biochemical and cell-based assays
- Identification of known and potentially unknown bioactive compounds (dereplication) using high-resolution tandem mass spectrometry
- Mass guided isolation of bioactive natural products from extracts and organisms, purity determination.
- Structural elucidation of complex natural products using high resolution mass spectrometry and spectroscopical tecniques such as NMR, IR and UV-Vis spectroscopy.
- Isolation and cultivation of marine microorganisms (Bacteria and Fungi), genome mining
- Focus on samples of marine origin such as extracts from invertebrates, marine fungi and bacteria.
Marbio prepares and screens fraction libraries from extracts provided by Marbank and provides technology and competence within the area of high-throughput screening and natural products drug discovery. The workflow in Marbio relies heavily on the automation of sample handling, preparation and analysis, and this is true for all the three workstations; purification, bioactivity screening and identification.
The tight integration of robust screening assays, early identification of known compounds and bioassay-guided purification of novel bioactive compounds is of great advantage.
- Autopurification HPLC (isolation of natural products)
- High-resolution MS (dereplication)
- Biomek minicore system (liquid handler, CO2 incubator, plate washer, barecode reader, plate reader, shakers, integrated with SCARA)
- Biomed3000 (antimicrobial screening)
- Precison liquid handler (kinase screening)
- Envision Alphascreen multimode detector
- High-resolution MS-MS and ion mobility (dereplication)
- Liquid hander/ plate reader
- Q-Pix colony picker
The Marbio screening program:
- Anti-inflammatory activities
Postal adress information:
UiT- The Arctic University of Norway
Siva innovation centre
P.O Box 6060
SIVA Innovation centre
UiT Norges Arktiske Universitet
P.O Box 6050