The research activity is based on molecular biology in order to explain various diseases and their treatment in gastroenterology and nutrition. All projects have an immunological profile, some in addition a microbiological and metabolic profile. The main projects are:
1. Molecular immunopathology in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) (5 sub projects)
2. Molecular immunopathology and microbiology in hepatitis C (2 projects)
3. Molecular immunopathology and metabolism in obesity (2 projects)
4. Molecular immunopathology and metabolism in fructose malabsorption (1 project)
5. Molecular immunopathology and microbiology in chronic Helicobacter pylori infection and mechanisms for development of malignicy (1 project)
6. Molecular immunopathology in colorectal cancer (1 project)
These projects are performed in collaboration with other research groups at the University of Tromsø (immunology, pathology and microbiology), and with national and international groups.