MBI-3015 Human pharmacology and toxicology - 10 ECTS
The course is an elective course for students accepted to the Master´s program in Biomedicine.
The course can be taken as a singular course by students with a Bachelor´s degree in Biomedicine or similar (180 ECTS).
Recommended prerequisites: Basic knowledge at University Bachelor level in pharmacology and toxicology.
The master course in physiology (MBI-3016 Human physiology), is recommended as a supplement to the course.
Application deadline for nordic applicants is 1st of December. Applicationcode: 9371
For admission requirements see the admission requirements for the Master program in biomedicine
After the course the student should be able to:
- Explain general principles in pharmacology and toxicology (kinetics, dynamics and risk assessments).
- Explain how drugs and toxic agents affect reproduction, endocrine-, cardiovascular-, nervous- and immune systems, inflammation, infection and cancer focusing on molecular mechanisms, effects, and interactions.
- Search, acquire and critically assess advanced knowledge in pharmacology and toxicology.
- Apply relevant methods to solve pharmaco- and toxicokinetic exercises.
- Apply current concepts and terminology in pharmacology and toxicology through oral presentations, group discussions and written text.
- Describe how the obtained knowledge and skills can be used in a professional setting.
- Describe how the obtained knowledge and skills can contribute to innovation processes in pharmacology and toxicology.
This course is open for inbound exchange students.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
Written exam (4 hours). Grade A-F (F-fail).
The following coursework must be completed in order to attend the written exam:
- Approval of hand-in pharmaco/toxicokinetics and -dynamics quiz.
- Participation in 5 out of 5 seminars/cases.
- Approved written report from work-place visit.
A re-sit exam/postponed exam will be arranged early in the following semester, for candidates who failed the exam or who, for valid reasons, were unable to attend.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: MBI-3015
- Responsible unit
- Department of Medical Biology
- Earlier years and semesters for this topic