Plan your trip
WHEN TO ARRIVE
1- Arrival before Debut WEEK International
Each campus offers an orientation week and arrival services for new international students. It is important that your participate in the orientation week to get familiarized with the various student systems, get direct help from your advisors and make new friends.
2- Arrival after Debut WEEK International
Please take a taxi from the airport to the Housing Department at The Arctic Student Welfare Organisation of Norway to pick up your room key. We have gathered all the informaiton concerning the semester start for you on Student Portal.
Immigration matters & student visa deposit
Please read the information on this website carefully before planning your trip.
Arriving by plane
We highly recommend that you arrive by plane since most of our campuses (in Alta, Harstand, Narvik and Tromsø) are located approx. 1800 km north of the capital Oslo. There are connecting flights to these destinations from Oslo. Please plan your travel arrangements carefully and/or consult with your local travel agency.
Customs clearance for checked baggage at airport
Norwegian Customs requires that all passengers on international flights clear customs at the airport before connecting to other destinations in Norway. Please follow these steps:
- Pick up your checked baggage
- Clear customs
- Drop the baggage off at the airline baggage drop
- Go through the airport security check before boarding the domestic flight to your final destination
Arriving by train (UiT in Narvik)
- There are regular train services to Narvik from Stockholm in Sweden. The travel time is around 23 hours.
- You can purchase your train tickets via the SJ Website
- Make sure to exchange your foreign currency to Norwegian Kroner at Oslo Gardemoen Airport.
- Book your flight as soon as you have been accepted and received your offer of admission from UiT. The cost will increase if you book your ticket close to the departure date.
- Separate your online booking, i.e direct flights from your country to Oslo from domestic flights connecting Oslo to Tromsø, Narvik, Harstad, Svalbard or Alta. This may save you some extra money.
- Consider booking your connecting flight from one of the major airport hubs.
- Allow for some extra time between your connections just in case of delays.
- Check if a return ticket will be cheaper than buying two one-way tickets.
- There is discount for buying return tickets on domestic flights in Norway. Prices fluctuate based on demand and may rise closer to departure date.
Last changed: 04.10.2022 10.55