I have since my PhD continued to work in virology of arctic mammals, mostly reindeer and seals. My work ranges from epidemiological studies of viral infections in the Arctic to molecular aspects of viral pathogenesis of herpesvirus and discovery of new viruses in reindeer and other arctic animals.
I am very interested in the study of virulence mechanisms specially those regulating the host-pathogen interaction and the pathogen evasion from the host immune system. This is special relevant for agents of veterinary and zoonotic relevance such as vector born viruses. When additionally there is a risk for contact between wildlife and domestic animals or wildlife and invasive species, the detection of agents and the comprehension of their pathogenesis is of vital importance.
I am also interested in the clinical aspects of this diseases, reason for which animal experimentation is also part of my work and a background for my current position at UiT.
I am also the manager of a circum-polar researcher's network focused on reindeer health and education named RANGIFER HEALTH which website can be visited at www.rangifer-health.com
- Main teaching activities
- Laboratory Animal course for researchers and technicians –University of Bergen–since 2008
- Laboratory Animal course for researchers and technicians –University of Tromsø–since 2010
- Laboratory Animal course for researchers and technicians –NTNU Trondheim –2010/12
- Laboratory Animal course for researchers and technicians –NVH–2010/11/12/13
- Course in wildlife diseases / virology, bacteriology and parasitology - Norwegian School of Veterinary Sciences - 2009/10/11/12/13 for veterinary undergraduate students
- Food safety and pathogens 2012/13 - Norwegian School of Veterinary Sciences for veterinary undergraduate students
As associate professor position at the University of Tromsø at the Department of Comparative Medicine I deal mostly with animal welfare and use of animals for scientific experiments being responsible for the course in field work animal experimentation. I have experience and focus on health surveillance, microbiology and infectious diseases.
Scientific articles in international peer reviewed journals
- Brucella pinnipedialis hooded seal (Cystophora cristata) strain in the mouse model with concurrent exposure to PCB 153. Nymo, I.H., Das Neves, C.G., Tryland, M., Bårdsen, B.J., Santos, R.L., Turchetti, A.P., Janczak, A.M., Djønne, B., Lie, E., Berg, V., Godfroid, J. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 2013 (under review)
- Physiological Evaluation of Medetomidine-Ketamine anesthesia in Free-ranging Svalbard (Rangifer tarandus platyrhynchus) and Wild Norwegian Reindeer (R. t. tarandus) Evans, AL, Lian, M, Das Neves CG, Os Ø, Andersen R, Aanes R, Strand O, Tryland M, Arnemo JM, in press . J Wild Dis. 2013
- Identification and characterization of two novel viruses associated to ocular infections in reindeer. Smits S.L., Schapendonk C.M.E., Van Leeuwen M., Kuiken T., Bodewes R., Raj S., Haagman, B.L., Das Neves CG, Tryland M., Osterhaus A.D.M.E. 2013 PLoS ONE 8(7): e69711. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0069711
- A protein A/G indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of anti-Brucella antibodies in Arctic wildlife. Evaluation of a Protein A/G ELISA for Brucella spp. in wildlife, with emphasis on the North-East Atlantic population of hooded seal (Cystophora cristata).Nymo, I.H., Godfroid, J., Åsbakk, K., Larsen, A.K., Foster, G., Das Neves, C.G., Tryland, M. J. Vet.Diagno.Invest 2013 doi:10.1177/1040638713485073
- Experimental parapoxvirus infection (contagious ecthyma) in semi-domesticated reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus). Tryland, M., Klein, J., Berger, T., Josefsen, T., Das Neves, C.G., Larsen, H.J., Åsbakk, K. Vet. Microbiol. 2013 162: 499-506
- Gammaherpesvirus infection in semidomesticated reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus): a cross-sectional, serological study in Northern NorwayDas Neves, C.G., Ihlebæk, H., Skjerve, E., Hemmingsen, W., Li, H., Tryland, M. J Wild Dis. 2013 – 49(2): 261-9
- Evidence of alphaherpesvirus infections in Alaskan caribou and reindeer. Evans, A., Das Neves CG, Finstad, G.F., Beckmen, K.B., Skjerve, E., Nymo, I.H., Tryland M. BMC Vet Research 2012, 8:5 (14 January 2012)
- Cervid herpesvirus 2 infection in reindeer: a review. Das Neves CG, Roth S., Rimstad E, Thiry E, Tryland M. Vet Microbiol. 2010 143(1): 70-80.
- Cervid herpesvirus 2: the primary agent in an outbreak of infectious keratoconjunctivitis (IKC) in semi-domesticated reindeer. Tryland M, Das Neves CG, Sunde M, Mørk T. J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Sep 47(11):3707-13.
- Cervid herpesvirus 2 experimentally reactivated in reindeer can produce generalized viremia and abortion. Das Neves CG, Mørk T, Thiry J, Godfroid J, Rimstad E, Thiry E, Tryland M. Virus Res. 2009 Nov; 145(2):321-8.
- Experimental infection of reindeer with Cervid herpesvirus 2. Das Neves CG, Mørk T, Godfroid J, Sørensen KK, Breines E, Hareide E, Thiry J, Rimstad E, Thiry E, Tryland M. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009 Dec; 16 (12): 1758-1765
- Cervid herpesvirus 2 causes respiratory and fetal infections in semidomesticated reindeer. Das Neves CG, Rimstad E, Tryland M. J Clin Microbiol. 2009 May; 47(5):1309-13.
- Alphaherpesvirus infections in semidomesticated reindeer: a cross-sectional serological study. Das Neves CG, Thiry J, Skjerve E, Yoccoz NG, Rimstad E, Thiry E, Tryland M. Vet Microbiol. 2009 Nov 18;139(3-4):262-9.
- Evaluation of three commercial bovine ELISA kits for detection of antibodies against Alphaherpesviruses in reindeer (Rangifer tarandus tarandus). Das Neves CG, Roger M, Yoccoz NG, Rimstad E, Tryland M. Acta Vet Scand. 2009 Mar 9;51:9.
- Forskning på rein og reindrift. In: Helse og Velferd hos rein. Norsk veterinærtidsskrift (to be published in 2013)
- Herpesvirus infections in wild mammals. In: Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals and Birds in Europe. Gavier-Widden, D., Duff J. P., Meredith A.., 2012. Editors. Blackwell Publishing Limited. ISBN: 978-14-0519-905-6
- Marine mammals herpesviruses. In: Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals and Birds in Europe. Gavier-Widden, D., Duff J. P., Meredith A.., 2012. Editors. Blackwell Publishing Limited. ISBN: 978-14-0519-905-6
- Ruminant alphaherpesviruses. In: Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals and Birds in Europe. Gavier-Widden, D., Duff J. P., Meredith A.., 2012. Editors. Blackwell Publishing Limited. ISBN: 978-14-0519-905-6
- Report of the North Atlantic Marine Mammal Commission expert group on assessment of whale killing data. North Atlantic House Copenhagen, Denmark, 2010
- Impact of climate change on infectious diseases of animals in the Norwegian Arctic – Brief Report Series 010 from the Norwegian Polar Institute – ISBN 978-827666-252-8
- Ottar 5/06 - Reindeer health – University of Tromsø scientific magazine ISSN 0030-6703