Project- and scholarships-based Inbound Exchange for Traineeships: step-by-step instructions
This website is for scholarship- and project-based exchange students who are nominated to UiT through the following programmes: Erasmus+ Global (non-European universities), EURASIA (universities from the Eurasia region), INTPART (International Partnerships for Excellent Education, Research and Innovation), NORHED (universities from developing countries), NORPART (Norwegian Partnership for Global Academic Cooperation), NOTED (Norwegian Partnership for International Teacher Education) & UTFORSK (Cooperation with universities in Brazil, Canada, China, India, Japan, Russia, South Africa, South Korea, and the USA).
How to apply for Exchange for Traineeship - internships, thesis supervision or placements (step-by-step instructions)
- At UiT The Arctic University of Norway, we currently welcome trainees for a maximum of 12 months. The minimum length of a traineeship is 3 months. However, for justified reasons the minimum duration of 2 months is accepted in following cases: the host department/supervisor/placement place is unable to offer a traineeship for over 2 months or it is decided in the curriculum that the duration of the traineeship is 2 months and it is not possible to include in the student's degree.
- The work during the traineeship should be full-time workload (at least 30 ECTS per semester or 30 hours/week) especially if you need a visa to enter Norway as a trainee. The traineeship needs to be fully recognized by the home university. However, for justified reasons other arrangments may be taken into consideration on an individual basis
- You must be enrolled as a student at your home institution and have an active student status / right. Students who will have graduated at the point of undertaking their traineeship would not be eligible candidates.
- To apply for Echange for traineeships (placement, internship or thesis work), you must be selected and electronically nominated by the Study Abroad or Exchange Coordinator at your home university. The nomination must be linked to a valid agreement with a Department at one of UiT's faculties.
- You must have a good command of English at B2 or C1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Language proficiency requirements
- You must upload the mandatory documents and a Learning Agreement on UiT's Appllication Web Service within the specified deadlines.
- You must be physically onsite and actively participate in the traineeship activities.
CONTACT THE PROJECT COORDINATOR FOR NOMINATION
In order to apply for exchange for traineeships (placemnts, internship & thesis work) at UiT, there must be a formal project agreement between your sending institution and UiT. Contact your Project Coordinator to discover whether you can be nominated electronically to UiT.
- Nominations for the autumn semester: 15 MARCH (start) - 15 APRIL (deadline)
- Nominations for the spring semester: 15 SEPTEMBER (start) - 15 OCTOBER (deadline)
REGISTER YOUR APPLICATION
The registration is by invitation only! After your nomination, you will receive an invitation email from UiT to register your application. Please check your email account! If you are not sure, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
REGISTER ON APPLICATION WEB (SØKNADSWEB)
ACADEMIC CALENDAR UiT
PLAN YOUR TRAINEESHIP
Before completing the Learning Agreement for Traineeships (step number 4 below), you MUST contact your Project Coordinator at UiT to explore whether he or she can arrange a traineeship, placement / internship or thesis supervision for you. If you do not know the name of your Project Coordinator at UiT, please send an email to email@example.com.
ADD SELECTED COURSES TO LEARNING AGREEMENT
The Learning Agreement is a binding document. It must be signed and dated by: (1) yourself, (2) your Project Coordinator at your home university and the Project/Exchange Coordinator at UiT The Arctic University of Norway., and (3) uploaded to the Application Web.
COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION
You must upload the required documents on Application Web (Søknadsweb) within the submission deadlines:
- Spring Semester: 15 SEPTEMBER (application start) - 31 OCTOBER (deadline).
- Autumn Semester: 15 MARCH (application start) - 30 APRIL (deadline).
APPLY FOR HOUSING
After the submission of your application, you must apply for housing without delay to reserve a room. You can cancel your reservation later if you decide NOT to accept your offer of admission. You will receive your housing contract in July for the autumn semester and November for the spring semester. Deadline for applying for housing: 31 MAY (autumn semester) and 30 NOVEMBER (spring semester).
ACCEPT OR DECLINE YOUR OFFER
Your application status will be "Under Review" until the final decision. Once your application is complete, you will receive a notification by email to accept or decline your offer of admission and download your Acceptance Letters.
The deadline for accepting or declining the offer of admission is specified in the "Notification of admission" email that was sent to you!
LOG IN THE APPLICATION WEB (SØKNADSWEB)
ADMISSION PROCES - AN OVERVIEW
IMMIGRATION ISSUES AND VISA OPTIONS
It is your responsibility to check which type of visa (NON-EU-EEA students) or registration (EU-EEA students) you will need and how to get it. If you arrive at UiT The Arctic University of Norway without the appropriate visa which permits you to study in Norway for the duration of your exchange, you may face troubles with the local Immigration Office at the Police Department. In some cases, you may have to leave Norway and re-enter in order to get your immigration permission corrected.
PRACTICAL ISSUES: START PLANNING YOUR ARRIVAL
STUDENT BUDGET & COST OF LIVING IN NORWAY
ORIENTATION PROGRAMME (Debut WEEK International)
STUDYING WITH DISABILITY
Students with a disability and special needs are entitled to adaptation of their daily student life and examination to ensure equal learning and educational opportunities.
Last changed: 11.03.2023 15.06